Worst month ever!

Cattle problems.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Worst month ever!

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:54 am

Here's my orphan and his adopted brother.. he doesn't get any special attention.. I have seen his adopted mother give him a little lick once in a while.. I would give him cubes or treats but I'd get run over by all the rest of them

It sucks, but the bright side is the calves are doing alright!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:56 am

TCRanch wrote:R.I.P. Bella. Didn't make it as long as I had hoped but her calf is doing great, as is my other orphan.

Sorry to hear she didn't make it. Hope the two calves do great for you.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Nesikep wrote:Here's my orphan and his adopted brother.. he doesn't get any special attention.. I have seen his adopted mother give him a little lick once in a while.. I would give him cubes or treats but I'd get run over by all the rest of them

It sucks, but the bright side is the calves are doing alright!

He looks great! Well, they both do. Mine do get cubes - I'm pretty adept giving a side shot to a cows nose with my elbow :). LB with her buddy, Rocky the Raccoon.
Windy is the one whose mama got struck by lightning. She's pretty aggressive and robs off any cow that will let her.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:17 pm

They look good!.. My cows will pay absolutely no heed to anything short of a baseball bat or hot shot if there's goodies to be had... The adopted momma especially is keen for them. Her own calf definitely gets most of the milk, and he really doesn't seem to suffer from having a thief.. Chester the orphan isn't a bold guy, he lost his mum at a week old.. he only nurses if the other one is there, which means he misses a lot of meals too, or gets stuck literally sucking hind teat.

We just started to get raccoons in the area.. Danggit they're cute and smart, but sooo destructive.. Neighbors saw a bald eagle dive from a mile high into the field and pick one up though!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Coons are the bane of our existence around the barnyard. One got shut inside the workshop last weekend and literally destroyed it. She now sleeps with the fishes. Since then we set a trap and we're up to 5 more coons and 1 possum. Couldn't bring myself to shoot Rocky but the party is now over, no more cubes for him.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:02 pm

Hate the bad luck you're having. I'd like to say I've had my share, but I know there's always a tomorrow.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

kerley
GURU
GURU

Postby kerley » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:13 pm

Ouch, that hurts, sorry for your loss.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:27 pm

Y'all warned me to never ask "what else could possibly go wrong" - and you were right!

I'm adding cancer eye to the list. Fortunately I caught it early, it's a fairly small lesion, but the vet thought the third eyelid on her other eye looked a little too red so he removed/cauterized them both. He found no indication the cancer had spread, no swollen lymph nodes and she's 2 - 3 months bred so he sees no reason to cull her, at least for now.

This is in addition to my cow that ate a bread wrapper last week. She may have passed it but the vet said it's not likely but possible it's still in her rumen. So I'll continue to watch her for any signs of bloat, discomfort, going off feed, etc.

This is me: :bang:

0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Sorry to hear that. When it rains, it pours.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:27 pm

What is the situation there TC? Is she standing but sedated with the head hung low? Did she go down at all? Do you know what sedation? Ketstun maybe?????

Ken
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:46 pm

wbvs58 wrote:What is the situation there TC? Is she standing but sedated with the head hung low? Did she go down at all? Do you know what sedation? Ketstun maybe?????

Ken

Ken, he didn't sedate her. She is standing but the head plate is kind of low, her head is secured by chains that wrap around the back of her head. She did go down once but he immediately lowered the head plate (there's a crank near his knee by the right side of her head), which automatically loosened the chains and she stood right up. She was a wench when I was trying to load her (and I'm now icing my jammed forefinger) but was a trooper at the vet. Clearly, she's frothing, but the entire procedure didn't take more than 30 minutes and that's including removing the 3rd eyelids, cauterizing, full exam and preg check. She's now back with the herd, ravenous appetite and while there's still a little blood, acting perfectly normal.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:59 pm

Good grief. :? I hope that's the end of the drama.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:Good grief. :? I hope that's the end of the drama.

Thanks, me too! :roll:
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:30 pm

The fun never ends... I lost a cow 2 weeks ago, Lyme disease is my best guess, but who knows.. with the heat and smoke when they go down it's hard to get them back
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:07 am

I hope that finger is not too bad TC. Yeh, I see that wheel and ratchet now to wind the chain up.

I just learnt something too by accidently clicking on the image twice it gave a blown up image and could make out exactly what he was doing as well. Good photo TC.

Ken
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”