Tattler lids

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Tattler lids

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:09 am

Finally getting around to using my tattler lids for the first time. I'll report on how they turn out. Would love to hear any experiences with someone who uses them...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: Tattler lids

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:20 pm

Really stressing out. I have to wait till the pressure is off, then i'm suppose to take the jars out(and they are hot) and tighten the lids.. I have a UGG glove, but those jars are going to be hot and hard to handle...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Was a success and wasn't that difficult. Every jar sealed. Pretty excited about this. You have tattler lids and jars you'll never starve.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:23 pm

I've looked at those but I haven't been willing to take the chance
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Dang it Craig, I was really curious as to how much longer she'd go on talking to herself.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:30 pm

My bad
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:52 pm

Craig Miller wrote:My bad

LOL,

No worries.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Craig Miller wrote:I've looked at those but I haven't been willing to take the chance

I had one that didn't seal. It was my mistake because I got the rim on crooked. I got mine off amazon. They were very simple and having one not seal is not a disaster because I didn't ruin a lid like the metal ones. I get to reuse it...
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:50 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Dang it Craig, I was really curious as to how much longer she'd go on talking to herself.

What's a tattler lid?
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Kingfisher wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Dang it Craig, I was really curious as to how much longer she'd go on talking to herself.

What's a tattler lid?

Reusable canning lids. You can look them up on Amazon. The reviews are about half and half good and bad.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:25 am

Craig Miller wrote:
Kingfisher wrote:What's a tattler lid?

Reusable canning lids. You can look them up on Amazon. The reviews are about half and half good and bad.

I watched some youtubes before i invested and they didn't look to difficult. And trust me, they weren't hard at all. I've talked with a lot of canners who use them in some FB canning groups too. I hated buying those one use lids. And if you are canning for survival, you need the reusable ones. I can up hundreds of jars of ready to eat meals for 'just in case'... We eat them over the course of a year, but I keep it stocked for 'just in case'. I had a hard time justifying that I was truly a prepper using the one time use metal ones.
I may buy more, 'just in case'.....lol
The lids do suck in so you can tell if they are sealed. THe one that didn't, the lid just lifted off. So there is no question whether its sealed or not. They seem expensive, but once you reuse it a couple times its paid for itself...Then, your canned good are then a cheap way to eat, well other than all the work...
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 am

Never seen those till you posted this. They do look expensive. I use re-use the one time lids fairly often if they aren't messed up and they seem to work fine on the second go round. I doubt they will last as long as these though.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:55 am

I guess I'm not sure I see the point in having more than a couple dozen on hand. The lids cost about a buck a piece and you still have to buy new gaskets.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:43 am

Can you imagine being there in real life? :lol:
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:01 am

Jogeephus wrote:Never seen those till you posted this. They do look expensive. I use re-use the one time lids fairly often if they aren't messed up and they seem to work fine on the second go round. I doubt they will last as long as these though.

I have heard of people reusing those. Do you do anything to get the seal part back to useable or just warm them up and use them like new ones? How many have you reused?
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”