Wild Cows

The place to start if you are new!
BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Wild Cows

Postby BigBear » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:51 pm

Hi everyone,
You may remember a few months back I mentioned getting a couple nice registered red angus cows. Well that went through and I have them on my farm. The problem is this:

They are bat be nice crazy. :shock:

They are so scared of people it's not funny. Not aggressive just flighty. The gal I got them from would vaccinate with a medidart crossbow (she didn't have a chute). I remember her saying she wanted them about 20 yards for a good clean shot. And that's about as close as you can get to them.

Last week I set up my portable corral and fed them in there for about a week. Saturday I trapped them in the corral or so I thought. I forgot to pin a section together and they got out into the pasture. My thought was to keep them penned in to try to calm them down. I took them until this morning to come back into the corral for feed.

My other issue: I just bought stocker calves. All heifers meaning I can't really run a bull with the cows so I will have to AI (which is what I would prefer). And I'm not sure I can even get them in the corral to even run them through the chute.

Any suggestions on taming wild cows?
0 x
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Wild Cows

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:01 pm

If they can be tamed - I believe most cows can be - there is only one starting point. You have to secure them where you can handle them on a daily basis until they trust you.

That takes time and patience. If you cannot accomplish the first step or do not have the time and resources, I think you are going to be frustrated at the least and fail at the most. If you AI on natural heats, they must be manageable. If you synchronize them for AI, you will have to handle them a couple times.

I have gentle cows but even I have had a couple that I thought were too shy. The frustration of dealing with shy cows does not fit my goals. I cull them.
Good luck.
0 x

Clod Hopper
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Clod Hopper » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:12 pm

I have had some wild ones that were not worth the effort to tame due to age or conformation but after I got through the worst ones I used treats and that has worked really well. If you have some gentle ones it help to get the more flighty cows used to you. A good example can be just as effective as a bad one. Which is why I sold the worst behaved. Their favorite is apple and oat horse treats. Adding heifer that I raised has been well worth the effort as they tend to be calmer. Patience
0 x

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:36 pm

Wild cows are good candidates for hamburger
0 x

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Turkeybird wrote:Wild cows are good candidates for hamburger

Yeah and for what i paid for them that burger would be about $10/lb :bang:
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:02 pm

How much time are you working with?
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:13 pm

Need to hand feed them daily, and build up some trust.
Decent cattle settle down in a couple weeks.
Flighty cattle settle down in a couple months.
Some cattle never settle...
0 x
Stocker Steve

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:24 pm

1 month penned up, feed them feed daily in a trough. Make it so you get closer and closer to them each time. Pretty soon you can be right next to them while they are eating. You have to talk to them. Even read a book or whatever but they need to hear your voice. Your voice needs to become a normal sound. Do this almost daily until they get used to you. But when first penned I would put some feed and give them a day to get used to the enclosure. I did this with a crazy Brahman cross that tried to jump and crawl out of every fence. Now she is tame as a baby, licks my hand when I hold it out. I do this procedure with all my new cattle. Some take longer then others. I run cattle by myself so I can't have a crazy unmanageable cow and I don't like losing money to the auction. If these girls were never handled they will take time..
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:46 pm

My first suggestion is you need to ask question before you do things not after it's screwed up. It looks like you have a habit of painting yourself in to a corner.

Pen the cows. Plan on having them in the pens for several weeks. Make them understand you control wether they live or die. Start with a big pen then get smaller and smaller until they have no choice but to be bear you.

Do not turn the stocker calves in with those cows because mixing a bunch of stupid together causes a disaster. Just look at the news.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:18 pm

Agree with everything that's been said, and would like to add a little to it

There's no replacement for just spending time with them.. and treats!.. I've never needed to, but I've heard many people say going to their pen and reading a newspaper or book (aloud) works well and gets them used to who you are.

That said, there are some that just will not slow down, they need to go, in all likelihood they're going to be stupid at calving time too, and possibly aggressive.. hope yours are smarter than that
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:19 am

M.Magis wrote:How much time are you working with?

Well they are due to calve in about a month so about 4 months from now I will look to breed back. I do have time to calm them down a little

They have gotten slightly better since we got them so hopefully there's a chance with them.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:10 pm

I would rather dump them at the sale barn, calving or not.
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:21 pm

BK9954 wrote:1 month penned up, feed them feed daily in a trough.

Three or four weeks works with most, but not all.
How long to you keep going?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Brute 23 wrote:Do not turn the stocker calves in with those cows because mixing a bunch of stupid together causes a disaster.
Just look at the news.

:nod:

Just a couple of high headed cows can get a whole herd of level headed cattle riled up.
1 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Take your time. Every time you have them in the corrals open your chute and let them go through at their own pace. When you have time just go get as close as you can without them taking off and stay there for a little bit. Just don't get yourself in between them and their escape route or they'll learn fight instead of flight and you might get creamed in the process.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”