Paris sale barns

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: Paris sale barns

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:03 am

Red Bull Breeder wrote:CG8 your reading comprehension is lacking.

What i'm I missing...I understand what is being said...I see the calculations on how the calves gain back at OKC....Why is my reading comprehension lacking because I ask why a calf will not gain as good at another barn that feeds the same?
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:19 am

Here is a link to one of the few past discussions... No mention of OKC.
We are also thinking about the special sales, still have time for that. But my thinking is, find a buyer and precondition them for a prime price.....omit the commission from the sale barn.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=108383&hilit=sale+barns
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:23 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
Red Bull Breeder wrote:CG8 your reading comprehension is lacking.

What i'm I missing...I understand what is being said...I see the calculations on how the calves gain back at OKC....Why is my reading comprehension lacking because I ask why a calf will not gain as good at another barn that feeds the same?

I hesitate to get involved in this, but I believe they're saying that there aren't any other barns that feed the same as OKC.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:29 am

kenny thomas wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:
jedstivers wrote:You have no reading comprehension what so ever. Your not only not on the same page as what we are talking about your not even in the same book.
Atleast someone else might gane some knowledge that will help them.
Go back and reread what Texas pawpa wrote.
Undambelievable

I appreciate you educating me on this. I've never even heard on them. So do they pay you or do they haul to a sale barn and then your paid?

I will jump in till Jed gets back. The calves are delivered to OKC stockyard just like any other sales yard. The commission company takes care of the cattle in all aspects including the sale of the calves. Then the commission company writes you the check.

One last question I thought of in my sleep and I'll leave you alone...ok two.
Do you just call them up when your are ready to sale and they come get them? Are all calves sold through them worked....shots, castrated, etc? Ok there's a third one. Do they only handle calves?
0 x

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:31 am

Rafter your wasting your time. You will never get her to understand its not just the way they feed calves at OKC. OKC is not a salebarn like any local barns.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:34 am

CG8 is not missing anything, it's the rest of you. :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:07 am

Craig
OKC sells calves in groups on Monday. On Tuesday it is more like a regular sale barn with animals selling individually and they sell all sizes, and all ages. If a calf gets banged up during transport, they will pull it from the Monday sale groups and run through on Tuesday,
The calves in the Monday sale can be any type and are sorted by sex and size. The commission company lets the auctioneer know about the group that is selling and he announces it. Lots of transparency there. Most are weaned with shots but there are plenty that are not. All information is disclosed. They don't try to hide anything. If one calf in a group of 50 has nuts or has a blue eye, they announce it. Bull calves get docked heavily. If a seller brings in three or more bull calves, they will sell those as a separate group.
I am not big enough to haul pot loads but the process is the same for any trucker. Call them ahead of time to schedule when to be at your farm. Be ready to load them and get him on the road asap.
Sit down one Monday when you have some time and watch the live video of the sale. It will show you how it works.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:33 am

Red Bull Breeder wrote:Rafter your wasting your time. You will never get her to understand its not just the way they feed calves at OKC. OKC is not a salebarn like any local barns.

I know, but sometimes I just can't stand it and my better judgment gets pushed aside.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:09 am

Craig Miller wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:
I appreciate you educating me on this. I've never even heard on them. So do they pay you or do they haul to a sale barn and then your paid?

I will jump in till Jed gets back. The calves are delivered to OKC stockyard just like any other sales yard. The commission company takes care of the cattle in all aspects including the sale of the calves. Then the commission company writes you the check.

One last question I thought of in my sleep and I'll leave you alone...ok two.
Do you just call them up when your are ready to sale and they come get them? Are all calves sold through them worked....shots, castrated, etc? Ok there's a third one. Do they only handle calves?

Ask all you want and if you need to call or text me.
I call them and tell them when I'll be sending. I don't want 4 pots to show up unannounced.
I like just sending one at a time but sometimes I I send more.
I tend to getting my own trucks. The driver makes a huge diffrence in the condition of the calves.
All my calves are. I buy bawlers and get them started. Most have to be cut. When they go they have everything and it's all on the health papers. The sell in a diffrent sale if you send the stuff with them.
They are the barn for a huge area. They handle everything gust like your local darn does.
When I was doing trader cows I sent a lots of pots of them there too.
Again. Ask all you want.
Pm me if you need a number.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 am

Rafter S wrote:
Red Bull Breeder wrote:Rafter your wasting your time. You will never get her to understand its not just the way they feed calves at OKC. OKC is not a salebarn like any local barns.

I know, but sometimes I just can't stand it and my better judgment gets pushed aside.

What am I suppose to say? I did not ask for advice, I asked about the sale barn. But again, what is it you few are not getting from me?...."Oh thank you sir, we'll load up our cattle and haul them to OKC. Thank you for your wisdom i'll put all my eggs in one basket on your advice"...lol Hey, when you guys are pondering how people make a living at ranching.... i'm living it.
To date, this is how it is no matter if I take anyone suggestions or not...We are open to sell our calves how we want to sell....And if it bothers you, then don't freely give your advice and expect to be patted on the back for doing so.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:36 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
Rafter S wrote:

What am I suppose to say? I did not ask for advice, I asked about the sale barn. But again, what is it you few are not getting from me?...."Oh thank you sir, we'll load up our cattle and haul them to OKC. Thank you for your wisdom i'll put all my eggs in one basket on your advice"...lol Hey, when you guys are pondering how people make a living at ranching.... i'm living it.
To date, this is how it is no matter if I take anyone suggestions or not...We are open to sell our calves how we want to sell....And if it bothers you, then don't freely give your advice and expect to be patted on the back for doing so.

Wow . . . . . . . . all I can say.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:36 am

I gotta admit this thread has enlightened me. Back in 2010 I went with a buddy to look at some heifers. Once he decided what he wanted the seller said he was taking the rest to OK City. He said he would make more money than he would at the local barn even after hauling them 4 hours. Never made sense until now.
Last edited by slick4591 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:46 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
Rafter S wrote:

Here I go again. Did you see my first post here, in which I was trying to answer a question you posed? It seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle. And please believe I'm not trying to pick on you or start a fight. I was also taught not to pick fights with women, or otherwise be disrespectful to them. I hope you can't find any place where I've done that.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:25 pm

Rafter S wrote:We had a new barn open just outside Navasota a few years ago, 2 or 3 miles from the one that's been there forever. At the time the story was the same as you're saying, they were trying to run the old one out of business. The new one didn't last long under the original management, but it has new owners now and they're both still in business.

This one? If so, yay, back to the subject of the post. .
If anything, Paris will have tricked out sale barns. I didn't like the old one in town.. The second one in Reno is a very nice setup. Very inviting, your calves get their own pen. They welcome you to walk the catwalk. People are nice and eager for your business. But the new one is, wowzer huge...Maybe what will happen is he goes out and the second setup buys it. I cant wait to see what they've built. Yes, i'll check it out.
If anyone has any information of the Paris livestock situation, please share it.....Lets stay on subject please..
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Back in the day, when our kids were little we'd go by the Paris sale barn in town and get a free ice cream.. unless it was a day with lots of flies, i'd always go in and check first. Farm life, gotta love it.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”