Foot rot

Cattle problems.
Banjo
GURU
GURU

Re: Foot rot

Postby Banjo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm

Rafter S wrote:I don't have any advice on treating it, but if you'll keep EDDI salt out year round you won't have to worry about it in the future.

Is that a special order item? Or do you mix the EDDI(iodine) in regular salt?
0 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:26 pm

Banjo wrote:
Rafter S wrote:I don't have any advice on treating it, but if you'll keep EDDI salt out year round you won't have to worry about it in the future.

Most companies will have a variation in their line-up that has the EDDI in it. I like American Stockman with EDDI, about $7.50 a bag....much cheaper than having to treat 2000 pound bulls with Draxxin.... :cry2:
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:17 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Banjo wrote:

Most companies will have a variation in their line-up that has the EDDI in it. I like American Stockman with EDDI, about $7.50 a bag....much cheaper than having to treat 2000 pound bulls with Draxxin.... :cry2:

I feed Wind and Rain Hi-Mag mineral that has 60ppm Iodine is that not sufficient?
0 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Had 3 so far this year. One caught soon draxin fixed. Another Draxin and bandage with ichthammol. The third took to cow vet went on table dug out rotten mess shot and bandage.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:33 pm

Banjo wrote:

Some feed stores carry it, but not all. The Feed Barn in Navasota does, but I was astonished to learn that Producers Co-op in Bryan doesn't.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AZAggie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:53 pm

I have a conclusion to this saga. I finally took the old girl to the vet today. He's not sure if it was foot rot, or a puncture wound. Whatever the cause, she had/has a nasty infection. The tendons and ligaments in that foot are destroyed. He suggested on getting rid of her as soon as she's done with the antibiotic withdrawal period, so that's what I'm going to do.
0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:37 am

AZAggie wrote:conclusion to this saga. I finally took the old girl to the vet today. He's not sure if it was foot rot, or a puncture wound. Whatever the cause, she had/has a nasty infection. He suggested on getting rid of her as soon as she's done with the antibiotic withdrawal period, so that's what I'm going to do.

Puncture wound seems most likely to me given timeline and other info.
0 x

AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AZAggie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:47 pm

Forgot to add the most important part on my conclusion post. Somehow, whether by infection or the original injury, the cow has destroyed her tendons and ligaments. That's why she has to go. She'll never recover.
0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

Return to “Health & Nutrition”