Cow Age

Cattle problems.
Bamadan
Beginner
Beginner

Cow Age

Postby Bamadan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:10 pm

Do you guys have a basic age that you typically cull a cow from your cow/calf herd, or do you use performance history to determine when it's time to cull?
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Cow Age

Postby Nesikep » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:42 pm

I find that the cows that are good performers last for a good long time.. I'm usually looking at my calf crop and upcoming heifers and seeing what I have that's better.. Sometimes I have exceptional cows that just get to stay here as long as they produce a calf since nothing better is coming along, or I always have higher priority animals to cull. That said, by about 14 in my area is when they start to show age and lose the spring in their step.. though I have an 1800 lb 14 year old cow that was bucking and kicking like a calf the other day.. If she's like me, she probably felt it the next day!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:56 pm

When they are more of a liability, than an asset, they go.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Fail to breed back or raise a below average calf
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:05 pm

I don't cull based strictly off of a certain age as long as they still raise a good calf, breed back on time, and are in good physical condition. I've got a little 14 year old cow that raised a set of twins last year and bred right back on time, and she still is one of the first ones there when I go to move them to another field. I'll have some start showing their age before they're even 10 years old, so some age a lot better than others. Most of the time mine will get culled before they make it to their teens based off of calf performance or some type of physical issue. All that being said, if I was deciding between two and had to cull one, age would be one thing that would factor into my decision.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:43 pm

I'm commercial, I have some in their mid 20's.. their crossbred.and Brahman cross at that... They tend to produce for years..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:57 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:I'm commercial, I have some in their mid 20's.. their crossbred.and Brahman cross at that... They tend to produce for years..

+1 still maintaining BCS and raising calves that mash the scales.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:07 am

0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”