Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Location: Northeast KS (USA)
Contact:

Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:24 pm

0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12227
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby Nesikep » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:13 pm

hhahaha, "Increase the genetic diversity"... and they want Herefords...

Do they have any slaughter facilities there? That is probably a bigger hurdle than importing bulls
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 837
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:19 pm
Location: NE Tennessee

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby A.J. » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:20 pm

Petercoates87 that posts on here from time to time should look into this. I believe he lives in Newfoundland.
0 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3642
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:35 am

Only a government agency would call 5 cows a significant building block.
0 x

Petercoates87
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby Petercoates87 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Hey guys. Yeah I have looked into this. This is the second year they did this tried last year and nope wasn't what they wanted. It ended up going to some dairy on the west coast of the island. But I know some of you find this funny but we actually don't have any beef farmers here. The numbers are 98% of our beef is imported to the island. So the government is trying to push it. My lil farm doesn't fit what they want. Last year in the letter it said stuff like they wanted to compare "traditional" Newfoundland beef to higher pure bred beef. Like I said it went to a dairy. They wanted the farm we to either have a breeding bull or access to ai equipment to do that. And a couple other things. I guess I didn't fit that for them. Would be wicked though 5 free cows!!!
0 x

Petercoates87
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby Petercoates87 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Oh and to answer ur slaughter question no we just have like 12 I think private owned slaughter houses and they r provincally regulated. No feds. That's cross the island too.
0 x

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby Aaron » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:03 pm

I assume The Rock doesn't have government-backed feeder and breeder financing opportunities like most of the country does? That would be a bigger boost to beef production than any 5 free cows.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Petercoates87
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby Petercoates87 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:29 am

Your assuming right. The province will not give grant money toward cattle or breeding stock. I'm only new to the whole running a farm. I have been years helping dad but never doing any of the paperwork n what not. So I have been 3 years applying for grants for land clearing and to help build a barn and I have yet to receive a cent.
0 x

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby Aaron » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:55 am

Petercoates87 wrote:Your assuming right. The province will not give grant money toward cattle or breeding stock. I'm only new to the whole running a farm. I have been years helping dad but never doing any of the paperwork n what not. So I have been 3 years applying for grants for land clearing and to help build a barn and I have yet to receive a cent.


It's not grant money for cattle. Government just agrees to back cattle co-op in writing so lenders aren't nervous lending to those individuals with no experience or collateral. It is a major contributor to herd growth and expansion in a large part of the provinces.

http://www.ontariobeef.com/programs/breeder-cooperative-program.aspx
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Petercoates87
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby Petercoates87 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:45 am

Ok got ya. So it's a loan I'm guessing with no interest? Seems right on. But no we got nothing like that here. Ahh I'm told TD bank does an interest free loan for farmers but that's all I know about.
It's silly to be honest this whole thing. The rest of North America has a wonderful beef industry and what's here doesn't even exist. It's not like it can't be done we have a very healthy dairy industry. So if we can have an excess of milk we should be able to raise beef right?
0 x

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1437
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:28 am

Petercoates87 wrote:Oh and to answer ur slaughter question no we just have like 12 I think private owned slaughter houses and they r provincally regulated. No feds. That's cross the island too.


What do you guys do for hay out there? I'm assuming 1 cutting, but do you have to import a lot of it or are there any hay fields?
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

Petercoates87
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby Petercoates87 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 am

Nope not importing. But with that said some guys import some. An issue that's happening now is there isn't much farmland and developers are putting houses on it. We can manage to get 2 cuts usually one good n the second is a bit shorter. I don't think we can grow alfalfa here. Oats and Timothy n clover are what's used.
0 x

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1437
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:57 am

Petercoates87 wrote:Nope not importing. But with that said some guys import some. An issue that's happening now is there isn't much farmland and developers are putting houses on it. We can manage to get 2 cuts usually one good n the second is a bit shorter. I don't think we can grow alfalfa here. Oats and Timothy n clover are what's used.


Interesting. We have a big problem here, too, with people buying up the farmland for developments. We're losing a lot, and you can't buy anything unless you win the lottery.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby Aaron » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:34 pm

Petercoates87 wrote:Ok got ya. So it's a loan I'm guessing with no interest? Seems right on. But no we got nothing like that here. Ahh I'm told TD bank does an interest free loan for farmers but that's all I know about.
It's silly to be honest this whole thing. The rest of North America has a wonderful beef industry and what's here doesn't even exist. It's not like it can't be done we have a very healthy dairy industry. So if we can have an excess of milk we should be able to raise beef right?


Loan through FCC with low interest - basically prime.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7133
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Only a government agency would call 5 cows a significant building block.


Herefords are extremely fertile, :nod:

and just think of the heavy milking bwf replacements after they have generate enough bulls to cover herds of steins. :cboy:
0 x
Stocker Steve


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests