Hanging weights/final weights

The place to start if you are new!
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Re: Hanging weights/final weights

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:43 am

Never used them before. We are always looking for good places though because as you said Weavers is hard to get into. If you were selling beef sides it would be hard to deal with them. We normally have our appointments set 3 months ahead
0 x

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:54 am

I've only been doing this 15 years but, this is what I've found.

You take home 50%-70% of the hanging weight. (the majority fall into the 55% to 62% range) Yes, I weigh the boxes on my scale and have witnessed 90% of the rail weight numbers (assuming their scale is accurate). This is from two different butchers over the years.

One obvious factor that affects %'s is whether the animal was deboned or not.

Another thing I've noticed is breed differences. Seems to me that the ratio for Angus is better that Herefords. Now before all the Hereford guys slam me, my sample size on Herefords is very small (maybe 5 Hereford's verses 70 or 80 Angus's), but it is what my numbers are showing.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Just off the top I always tell buyers they will get approx 50% of hanging weight back in edible meat. Anything more is a plus. Like Ridgefarmer63 said, it depends on the amount of deboning. Since i often kill an over 30 month animal, grassfed beef and wanting the good marbling that comes with the little bit older animal, and being finished more at that age on grass, there is more deboning due to no backbones and no T-bones etc. I fine that the jerseys actually give a better percentage of returned beef in part due to the smaller bones, and they do put on some pounds in their little bit older age. Killed a heifer that was nearly 36 months that came up open, 1/2 guernsey 1/2 jersey and she hung at 590 lbs. Got back over 350 lbs total meat and all was deboned except the short ribs I got back. Marbled beautifully, but yellow fat that some don't like. Will eat the first steak tonight.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:32 pm

I have never heard of the 44% packaged meat vs live animal. That works out to 65% cutability & losing 33% from hanging to packaging. These are common numbers, but cutability will range mostly between 62% - 65%. At 62% it would be more like 41%.
I tell my customers they will lose 1/3 of the hanging weight.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:08 pm

1250 lbs live weight x 44% = 550 lbs take home

Here's my math:
1250 lb steer (over night stand, no gut fill) x 62.5% = 781 h.w.
8-9 days hanging = 30% shrinkage and trim losses
30% x 781 = 234 lbs 781 - 234 = 547 lbs take home

547 lbs is 43.8% of 1250 lbs or Roughly 44% of live weight

Hanging 15 - 29 days results in over 33% shrink with trim losses, dry aging vs wet aging will be even more

Gut filled 1300 lb steer x 42% live weight = 546 lbs take home
1300 x 60.1% = 781 lbs h.w.
781 lbs x 70% = 547 lbs
547 lbs is 42.1% of 1300
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:58 am

Our prices for grassfed Angus are not the cheapest around. (I have wondered whether one outfit who advertises grassfed is actually selling grained. Either that or I would love to know how he hasn't gone under; he undercuts us grassfed sellers by almost half sometimes). So, while I want to properly set expectations for the final weight, I think customers would go running into the night if I tried to be ultraconservative and tell them to expect a 50% loss.
Based on the amount of meat we got and how much space it took up, I don't think we lost more than 25%. Maybe 30% tops. I think going forward I will use the ~1/3 figure that it looks like Jeanne and Butch use.
Thanks for all the comments. Please add any other thoughts--this is very helpful. We pick up the other steer Sat. and I think I will figure out a "way to weigh."
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:27 am

First time buyers might ask take home weight expectations otherwise it usually doesn't come up.
They pay me for hanging weight and how they want it processed is between them and the butcher.
Usually they pick up their half from the butcher not me. I have thrown in free delivery sometimes to close a sale.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:40 am

Son of Butch wrote:First time buyers might ask take home weight expectations otherwise it usually doesn't come up.
They pay me for hanging weight and how they want it processed is between them and the butcher.
Usually they pick up their half from the butcher not me. I have thrown in free delivery sometimes to close a sale.

We pick up and deliver. A lot of them (so far) are newbies at buying a quarter (or, less often, a half), so we give them a good bit of hand-holding. They fill out the cut sheet and we deliver it to the butcher, with the cow.
0 x

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:06 am

How much are you folks charging
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Last one sold 2.59 lb plus processing currently advertising 2.39 for 2 weeks with no response. :(
Appears I'm going to have to lower my price, a local producer is advertising 1.90 for holsteins and 2.15 for beef

The top Grassfed producer in the state advertises USDA inspected grassfed beef quarters 3.99 plus .70 processing.
His farm has been on TV cooking shows on PBS and he sells to featured restaurants.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:43 pm

boondocks wrote:They fill out the cut sheet and we deliver it to the butcher, with the cow.

I would suggest not saying "Cow" unless you're selling a cow.
Otherwise they'll end up repeating it to a know it all friend who will say they got ripped off.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Yes, terminology in our business these days is extremely important. Sad, but true.
You are HARVESTING a finished STEER at the PROCESSORS.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
boondocks wrote:They fill out the cut sheet and we deliver it to the butcher, with the cow.

Otherwise they'll end up repeating it to a know it all friend who will say they got ripped off.

Maybe they are, actually selling them a 'cow'.

But that does drive me nuts. We have new neighbors (city folk) and the husband calls me one day to tell me one of my "cows" has been laying out in the field for quite some time, and its all by itself. The "cow" he was referring to was a calf. He calls everything I have a "cow". He kept thinking I was pulling his leg, with regard to the bull, because the bull doesn't have horns. :roll:
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:00 am

Son of Butch wrote:

I do call a steer a steer. But for example, last summer we butchered a 2 yo female that wouldn't breed. I guess technically that makes her a heifer but that's a distinction that would be lost on many customers...
We're very clear that they're buying a quarter or half.
Am I doing something wrong?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:04 am

No, not doing anything wrong, but could be confusing to newbie city customers is all... everyone knows cows are
for milking not eating. :)
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”