Wild Cows

The place to start if you are new!
farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: Wild Cows

Postby farmerjan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Agree with everyone that says time and patience. Make them depend on you for their feed/water. Talking to them etc to make sure your voice is something they associate with feed. Keeping them "close up"where they can't get too far away from you, like in a big pasture, so that they really do have to depend on you.
Some never get better.
Bought 2 young bred 1st calf heifers last dec. Ran them with 8 other older cows that were fairly quiet and calm. They have never calmed down. One had a dead calf, the other has a heifer calf, and the one went and the one with the calf is going as soon as we can get her in. The calf is high headed but will follow the other cows and calves in. They all will now try to push you to get to grain, except her; and we cannot even get her out of the paddock into the smaller catch pen to run her down the alley into the barn. We have been discussing what is going to be the best plan. She is now in with the grandma group that will all be going to the yard when they get done with their calves as they are not ones we want to try to breed back. One just recently died and her calf is stealing off 2 other young cows that were in there just waiting for them to calve, so will let the 2 raise 3 calves. None of the cows, that this nutty idiot is in with, was ever crazy and she just won't calm down at all. We had decided when we got the 6 we bought, and saw that the 2 were a bit flighty, that we would give them some time and usually I can get most all to calm down but these 2 would never slow down long enough to even consider i was not their worst enemy. Shame, but not worth the trouble anymore. She gets some of the calves taking off with her too, so will be glad when fall comes and they are gone. There are a heifer or two that we might keep, but they will have to show they have some sense.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:02 am

Son of Butch wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Do not turn the stocker calves in with those cows because mixing a bunch of stupid together causes a disaster.
Just look at the news.

:nod:

Just a couple of high headed cows can get a whole herd of level headed cattle riled up.

Generally, I agree 100%. However, if you have a couple OLD cows that won't spook that like the grain bucket, they could help. I got a couple old gals that don't like to walk fast let alone run anywhere but their head will turn for the bucket. They will also lead the heard to the next pasture when I go out.

Make sure the water is in a catch pen area too.

All that said, I wouldn't bother with em - but if I WAS to bother with em, that's how I would do it. And get it figured out BEFORE the calves hit or forget it.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:59 am

angus9259 wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Do not turn the stocker calves in with those cows because mixing a bunch of stupid together causes a disaster.
Just look at the news.

::

Just a couple of high headed cows can get a whole herd of level headed cattle riled up.

Generally, I agree 100%. However, if you have a couple OLD cows that won't spook that like the grain bucket, they could help. I got a couple old gals that don't like to walk fast let alone run anywhere but their head will turn for the bucket. They will also lead the heard to the next pasture when I go out.

Make sure the water is in a catch pen area too.

All that said, I wouldn't bother with em - but if I WAS to bother with em, that's how I would do it. And get it figured out BEFORE the calves hit or forget it.
:nod:
Wild cows with newborn calves can be a little difficult to work with than the cows without the calves. We had few wild cows that never settled down while they have the calf on them.
2 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:05 am

Loved you Muddy.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:16 am

Time and patience , keep your voice low and move slow .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:35 am

This is another one of those threads where you should have to pass a test to purchase bovines. Failing the IQ test and stupid taxes are always costly.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:21 pm

I used to work with a guy named Ross that did some cowboying when he was younger, catching wild cattle for folks among other things. He said one time a man called him about a good sized heifer he couldn't get in the pen. Ross met the man at the pasture, and the guy got in the truck with him. The man showed him the heifer. Ross asked what the man had in mind, and he replied that he'd like to just sell him the heifer for a good price. Ross said that sounded good to him. Then he said "Just to make sure, we have a deal, right? That's my heifer?" The man agreed, so Ross reached behind his truck seat, grabbed his 30-30, laid the heifer down, and started field dressing her. I just wanted to throw that out as an option when you can't catch them any other way. They can't outrun a bullet.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Rafter S wrote:I used to work with a guy named Ross that did some cowboying when he was younger, catching wild cattle for folks among other things. He said one time a man called him about a good sized heifer he couldn't get in the pen. Ross met the man at the pasture, and the guy got in the truck with him. The man showed him the heifer. Ross asked what the man had in mind, and he replied that he'd like to just sell him the heifer for a good price. Ross said that sounded good to him. Then he said "Just to make sure, we have a deal, right? That's my heifer?" The man agreed, so Ross reached behind his truck seat, grabbed his 30-30, laid the heifer down, and started field dressing her. I just wanted to throw that out as an option when you can't catch them any other way. They can't outrun a bullet.

About 15 years ago, my uncle sold off his whole herd. They were able to get all but 4, of his 350 head, penned and sold. The ones they couldn't get up, they tried and tried for a month. Finally, 2 of were shot with a tranquilizer the remaining 2 were shot-dead on the spot, field dressed and hauled away.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Rafter S wrote: reached behind his truck seat, grabbed his 30-30, laid the heifer down, and started field dressing her.

A crisp trigger pull can be so satisfying. :nod:
1 x
Stocker Steve

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:This is another one of those threads where you should have to pass a test to purchase bovines. Failing the IQ test and stupid taxes are always costly.

We need a Ten Commandments of Cattle.

1. Thou shalt not turn thy cattle out of pens until thy know he can catch them again. :lol:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:This is another one of those threads where you should have to pass a test to purchase bovines. Failing the IQ test and stupid taxes are always costly.

We need a Ten Commandments of Cattle.

1. Thou shalt not turn thy cattle out of pens until thy know he can catch them again. :lol:

2. For Angus enough cattle panel required to put all belly deep stock tanks in the pen.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Return to “Beginners Board”