What makes you a better cattleman?

The place to start if you are new!
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: What makes you a better cattleman?

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:14 am

tdc_cattle wrote:I was hoping for some more specific things.
good luck with that... Doing every thing you can..covering all the angles makes you a better cattleman...not doing just one specific thing in general..to many variables....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:17 am

With no sarcasm intended at all, CT has made me a better cattleman.. learning about genetics, breeding, EPD's, diseases, minerals, forages, etc.. and last but not least, looking at pictures of THOUSANDS of cattle and picking apart what you like and don't like about them, and listening to what others like and don't like about the same animals... That is a bit subjective, but there will be patterns.. length, stance, hooves, udders, and all.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:24 am

Nesikep wrote:With no sarcasm intended at all, CT has made me a better cattleman.. learning about genetics, breeding, EPD's, diseases, minerals, forages, etc.. and last but not least, looking at pictures of THOUSANDS of cattle and picking apart what you like and don't like about them, and listening to what others like and don't like about the same animals... That is a bit subjective, but there will be patterns.. length, stance, hooves, udders, and all.

+1
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Experience.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Experience.

+10
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:45 pm

Learning how to do a rain dance.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:46 pm

Ok, a pencil sharpener. :D Watch your cows close. When you see a need that needs to be met think of a couple different ways to meet it and figure out which one is most cost effective and try it. An easy starting point is heterosis. Other than my registered cows I don't want a purebred on the place. That's one simple step that will make you a better cowman in one generation as it fixes a lot of the problems you will see when you really start paying attention to your cows.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:06 pm

What in particular? It's tough for a cow calf operation, all you can control are your input costs. Try to add any value to your calves that you can. Think outside the box :2cents:
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:38 pm

OK, I said find your unfair advantage so here are a couple of mine.
This is an isolated market that doesn't get enough cattle to fill a pot every week. As a result cattle are generally 20 cents under the real market. So buy cheap and ship them to somewhere that pays real market price.
There are thousands and thousands of acres of irrigated hay raised for the export market. They don't take hay that is slightly off. So that hay can be bought cheap. Why spend time and money when there is a reliable source of good cow hay.
There is a sweet corn processing plant near me. For 2 to 2 1/2 months of the year they haul off a number of truck loads every day of cobs, husks, and waste corn. Cows love it and it can be bought cheap. Either feed it fresh or put into a silage pit. Again it is a reliable source available every year.
Those are examples of my unfair advantage. I don't know your area so I don't know what your unfair advantage might be.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Don't forget they are cows. Cows are designed to take all sorts of forage and run it through their many stomachs and turn that into meat that you sell. Don't go chasing breeds. Don't chase fads. Have a plan and an objective and stick with it because what's good for the purebred seed stock produce may not be good for the commercial guy.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:09 pm

I think my desire to have better and better cows. I think it all started soon after I kicked off I put in a set of scales to weigh them. I guess I am obscessed with weaning weights and to achieve that I look to improve my genetics and to improve my pasture and maybe decrease my stocking rate a bit to ease the load.

Ken
0 x

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:06 pm

Not necessarily new steps, but I would suggest:
Learn to do as much for yourself as you can. Some people believe they need to holler for the veterinarian for every health related thing. Most things you can do for yourself.
Get a couple of good books and learn.

Use common sense in buying equipment depending on size of your operation.
You don't need the latest, fanciest, pretty equipment.
There is a world of difference between what you want and what you actually need.
A lot of things you can hire done rather than buying the equipment to do it yourself.
2 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:07 pm

Ryder wrote:Not necessarily new steps, but I would suggest:
Learn to do as much for yourself as you can. Some people believe they need to holler for the veterinarian for every health related thing. Most things you can do for yourself.
Get a couple of good books and learn.

Use common sense in buying equipment depending on size of your operation.
You don't need the latest, fanciest, pretty equipment.
There is a world of difference between what you want and what you actually need.
A lot of things you can hire done rather than buying the equipment to do it yourself.

Very good advice. I don't use vets other than prescriptions or when I'm stumped and sometimes they are too by that point.
I'm bad at running out and buying something I think I need but my neighbors would loan it to me if I had just asked and everything I own is free for use by just about anyone that needs it.
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:15 pm

wbvs58 wrote:I think my desire to have better and better cows. I think it all started soon after I kicked off I put in a set of scales to weigh them. I guess I am obscessed with weaning weights and to achieve that I look to improve my genetics and to improve my pasture and maybe decrease my stocking rate a bit to ease the load.

Ken

Not to argue with Ken but my idea of better cow is different than his. I'd rather run more cows and wean calves that are in the middle to lighter side of what others in my area are producing. That is something you need to pencil out for yourself as production costs vary greatly from region to region. My point in saying that is that you really need to figure out what works where you are.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:11 am

cow pollinater wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:I think my desire to have better and better cows. I think it all started soon after I kicked off I put in a set of scales to weigh them. I guess I am obscessed with weaning weights and to achieve that I look to improve my genetics and to improve my pasture and maybe decrease my stocking rate a bit to ease the load.

Ken

Not to argue with Ken but my idea of better cow is different than his. I'd rather run more cows and wean calves that are in the middle to lighter side of what others in my area are producing. That is something you need to pencil out for yourself as production costs vary greatly from region to region. My point in saying that is that you really need to figure out what works where you are.

Yes you are certainly right CP but a set of scales gets you thinking in the right direction, it may not be to get absolutely bigger calves but to keep track of how uniform in weight things are, how various cows are holding their weight. It allows you to measure and make your decisions from there.

Ken
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”