Rectal Prolapse in Young Bull

Cattle problems.
4x4dually
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Rectal Prolapse in Young Bull

Postby 4x4dually » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:02 am

We have a new registered Angus bull out of SAV Resource 1441 and OSU Empress 2114 that was born Jan 5 of 2015. Last night, I noticed him riding one of the cows and swung by him on the ATV. He had an anal prolapse that would protrude out 4-6 inches when he'd mount, then slide back in when he dismounted. He had new, bright red blood swished back and forth on his rear from his tail. An hour later, when I went back, all the blood was gone and he appeared to be normal. It didn't come back out the next few times he rode the old girl.

I've found a few threads about anal prolapse, but most are in cows or young steers. Most people, like in 90% of the health issue threads I've read always say "sale barn." I read it hereditary. He is quite short and was riding one of our Angus/Salers cows which are a bit taller than him so I can see where a short guy would strain a little to get 'r dun.

I've read where a stitching style called a "purse string" can be used if it is chronic, but I just wanted to bring up a new thread and see if any of you all have dealt with this on a bull and see if there are any words of wisdom out there other than "sale barn." A bunch of our calves are scoured up right now so it may be a nutritional thing. Our pasture turned off from the 100+ heat but now that we have had rain, the grass is all green and actively growing again. That is the only thing that has changed for the herd lately that could cause this to my knowledge. They are all current on vaccinations. The vet recommended penning him up for two-three days to take the pressure off him and let the swelling go down. I penned him and 30 minutes later....he managed to in chain the gate and let himself out. That will be cured tonight.

Advice.....?
0 x
Electrical Engineer.....with a few momma cows....so basically, Rancher still in training wheels.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Rectal Prolapse in Young Bull

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:52 am

I would not want to keep a bull like that. Do you sell any seedstock? If so, that makes it more of an issue. I would advise planning for a replacement.
0 x

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:48 am

I don't think its really any thing to worry about.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:01 am

Are you grainin' him ?feeding him pretty heavy...that'll blow em out.. If so,throw some dry hay at him a few days...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

jerry27150
GURU
GURU

Postby jerry27150 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:46 pm

I would contact whoever you bought him from & see if they will make it right. it is a highly heritable trait
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”