Limiters

Cattle problems.
Farmgirl
Rancher
Rancher

Limiters

Postby Farmgirl » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:30 am

A take off from the Accuration thread. What are the limiter choices that you know of or have used. We have used Accuration but concur it is good but pricey. Salt works so, so. Are there other limiters?

Thanks,
Farmgirl
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Limiters

Postby TexasBred » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:50 am

Farmgirl wrote:A take off from the Accuration thread. What are the limiter choices that you know of or have used. We have used Accuration but concur it is good but pricey. Salt works so, so. Are there other limiters?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl anytime you see someone that has a "limiter" feed they have usually worked with a nutritionist and formulated a package to put into the feed to accomplish their goal. Most are very complicated, containing numerous products from bad tasting ingredients to urea, ammonium chloride, etc and are expensive. Accuration is expensive but the additives to limit the intake (including the fish oil) are very expensive often adding several dollars to each bag of feed. I've been out of contact for awhile so am not aware of any companies making feeds with limiters other than the salt you mentioned but I'm sure there are some out there and for the most part the all work.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Farmgirl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farmgirl » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks TB. I have a need to use limiters from time to time. Salt works ok but not a good choice for use in a metal trough.
Is Rumensin considered a limiter? I have gotten a supposed limiter feed at the coop that contains rumensin. Works so, so, but not great.

Thank you,
Farmgirl
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Rumensin is not a limiter. It is basically the same as Bovatec - it helps the animal utilize the food it eats.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Farmgirl wrote:Thanks TB. I have a need to use limiters from time to time. Salt works ok but not a good choice for use in a metal trough.
Is Rumensin considered a limiter? I have gotten a supposed limiter feed at the coop that contains rumensin. Works so, so, but not great.

Thank you,
Farmgirl

Rumen will sort of knock them off feed temporarily but not permanently.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

mrvictordomino
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby mrvictordomino » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:16 pm

CPC Commodities in KY has a limiter product which is actually algae based. They have three different concentrations for the various levels of limitation you want. It works well as I have tried it a couple of times on some steers that had been on grass all summer. Filled the feeder up and turned them loose, no issues whatsoever without warming them up. Down side is that it doesn't flow down very good in the three ton feeder. The least limiting ration not so bad but the highest concentration will set up like a rock, to concentrated and just packs too bad. I have shared the issues with them but don't know if they fixed the issue. Can be mixed with corn or whatever you want to use.
0 x
www.jmsvictordomino.com

Return to “Health & Nutrition”