Simm Bulls

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Re: Simm Bulls

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:53 pm

Remember seeing in some sale catalogs around some heifers bred to him but can't remember which ones. Looks like a good bull.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:46 pm

I only have a few Grandmaster daughters, and I have not experienced any problems with them. As a matter of fact, one daughter is one of my best and I sold an 8 month old heifer calf for really good money - to the judge that used her to Supreme Champion at NYSF a few years ago. He, shortly after that, consigned her to a sale & got over $12,000 for her. So, there are some really good ones out there. I still use him on "iffy" heats. Only because he was relatively cheap, and most of my semen I'm using - is NOT.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jd720 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:48 pm

I`ve only had one Santa Fe and it was a nice looking calf out of a first calf heifer. I noticed there is a couple of Santa Fe heifers in the Field of Dreams sale catalog that look pretty nice.
0 x

Baldie Maker
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Baldie Maker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:54 pm

A proven cow maker that may or be as mainstream as some of these young unproven bulls that are being mentioned is hooks xpectation 36x. He is a 3/4 blood and red but can moderate, fix udders and teats, sire them sure docile, make them yellow enough to work in the southeast; and has pedigree packed with two stellar cows upfront.
http://alliedgeneticresources.com/semen ... bullid=118
Link to him above.

Another would be GW Lucky Charm 665k. He's an older bull and again 3/4 blood but he can make good docile females that always seem to be the dams of the highest performing calves but yet manage to stay in the herd; his females may not win any beauty pageant but they'll work for you and not the other way round.
http://bullbarn.com/simmepd.asp?ID=436
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:22 pm

Here's the bull I'm using right now, not out of a famous bull. But I really like his heifers, and his steers are meat wagons without to much frame.

https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... rs=2867972
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:25 am

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
Beef King is sired by Beef Maker, one of my favorite bulls. I have a few Beef Maker females in my herd, and they are awesome. I gave Bright Raven some Beef Maker semen to use.... I thought he would work well on his heifers.

I love Shear Force, and Built Right females also. They can do a fantastic job producing a nice calf every year. And of course, I have not had any problems with Upgrade, who will help your growth EPD's

But my favorite right now is HPF Optimizer, by far...

What size of cows do you get from a growthy bull like Optimizer?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:45 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
Beef King is sired by Beef Maker, one of my favorite bulls. I have a few Beef Maker females in my herd, and they are awesome. I gave Bright Raven some Beef Maker semen to use.... I thought he would work well on his heifers.

I love Shear Force, and Built Right females also. They can do a fantastic job producing a nice calf every year. And of course, I have not had any problems with Upgrade, who will help your growth EPD's

But my favorite right now is HPF Optimizer, by far...

What size of cows do you get from a growthy bull like Optimizer?

I only have one, who will be two in November. She weighs all of 1300 pounds, and is likely a 5.8 to 6 frame animals. She has been pushed on feed, for show purposes, so take that into consideration...

0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:00 pm

Beautiful!! Very impressive in the 2nd picture.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Breeds Board”