How to get cows to use the fly rub

Cattle problems.
quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:02 am

How to get cows to use the fly rub

Postby quartermeter » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:42 pm

I have it where they have to go under the rub to get to water. But I haven't seen them use it. I have rub over a 12 foot span and roped off another 12-foot so they have to go under rub to get the water. They just go on to the Rope. Going to tighten and lower the Rope so they can't go under it. They have rubbed on the ends of the rub a little bit. Guess it'll take time.
0 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14185
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: How to get cows to use the fly rub

Postby greybeard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:06 pm

Most rubs I've seen including both mine are 10'. Make the opening only as narrow as the rub itself even if it mean blocking part of the opening off with teeposts. Generally, if flies are bothering them, once they go under the rub a few times, they'll prefer to use it on their own, if for no other reason than they aren't afraid of it any more.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: How to get cows to use the fly rub

Postby M-5 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:02 pm

Hang bullets on the ends , but I take 2 pieces of hog panel and zip tie to ends so the gap is only 7 or 8' where they go thru
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
herofan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1423
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: How to get cows to use the fly rub

Postby herofan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:12 pm

We have the little shed mineral feeders, and we just put one at the entry. Of course it doesn't get all the way down their back, but it does a good job on the face, neck, and partially down the back.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5692
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Marianna Arkansas (East Central)

Re: How to get cows to use the fly rub

Postby jedstivers » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:53 pm

herofan wrote:We have the little shed mineral feeders, and we just put one at the entry. Of course it doesn't get all the way down their back, but it does a good job on the face, neck, and partially down the back.

If your using the right stuff it doesn't have to get all the way down their back. You get it in their system and its carried all over.
The really good pour ons don't cover the whole animal but they keep flies off the whole animal.
0 x

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46739
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: How to get cows to use the fly rub

Postby dun » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:25 am

jedstivers wrote:
herofan wrote:We have the little shed mineral feeders, and we just put one at the entry. Of course it doesn't get all the way down their back, but it does a good job on the face, neck, and partially down the back.

If your using the right stuff it doesn't have to get all the way down their back. You get it in their system and its carried all over.
The really good pour ons don't cover the whole animal but they keep flies off the whole animal.

Same principle as the stuff you squirt on a dogs neck for fleas/ticks
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Ruzzle
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:55 am

Re: How to get cows to use the fly rub

Postby Ruzzle » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:03 am

M-5 wrote:Hang bullets on the ends , but I take 2 pieces of hog panel and zip tie to ends so the gap is only 7 or 8' where they go thru


Good tip M-5, I'll give that a try.
0 x


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests