Loud breathers

Cattle problems.
Tbrake
Cowhand
Cowhand

Loud breathers

Postby Tbrake » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:54 pm

I have 2 yearling heifers that I bought from a neighbor ( out of my cows and bulls) mixed in with a group of 20 other yearlings. The 2 I bought are loud breathers. You can here them from 30 yards away sometimes. They are not laboring to breath, just noisy. No nasal discharge whatsoever. Other than the breathing they are perfectly normal. They come from a closed herd, so I'm hoping it is not IBR. But I have had trouble with it in the past, although not in a few years. Everything I raise gets vaccinated at 3-4 months, then again at weaning. The 2 with the problem didn't get any kind of shots till weaning. Should I be worried? Or can I turn them out with the others and forget about it?
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Loud breathers

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:02 pm

We see it some in cows grazing fescue but rarely in calves.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Lungers. Either pneumonia or permanent damage from it.
0 x

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:13 pm

be nice. I have a few that breath loud never was sick a day in there life. Hot weather and fescue warms them up.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:42 pm

Red Bull Breeder wrote:be nice. I have a few that breath loud never was sick a day in there life. Hot weather and fescue warms them up.

That would be a YUP.

What about shade?
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:42 pm

Tbrake wrote:I have 2 yearling heifers that I bought from a neighbor ( out of my cows and bulls) mixed in with a group of 20 other yearlings. The 2 I bought are loud breathers. You can here them from 30 yards away sometimes. They are not laboring to breath, just noisy. No nasal discharge whatsoever. Other than the breathing they are perfectly normal. They come from a closed herd, so I'm hoping it is not IBR. But I have had trouble with it in the past, although not in a few years. Everything I raise gets vaccinated at 3-4 months, then again at weaning. The 2 with the problem didn't get any kind of shots till weaning. Should I be worried? Or can I turn them out with the others and forget about it?
no open mouth breathing, no head hanging,coughing,probably not..what breed are they?
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:52 pm

A lot of damaged lungs out there that were never treated and are not always obvious. The really baad ones show fatigue and open mouth breathing during hot weather. The not so baad ones grow slowly and have trouble putting on condition. If they grow normally I would not be worried.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:51 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:A lot of damaged lungs out there that were never treated and are not always obvious.
The not so bad ones grow slowly and have trouble putting on condition. If they grow normally I would not be worried.

:nod:
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:57 pm

Could also be as simple as a deformity in the wind pipe. Had a heifer like that a couple of years ago. Never seemed to be in distress but you could here her breathing from 50 feet away. The sound bothered me enough that we shipped her as a feeder. When we got the feeders/slaughter data on her she weighed and graded just like the other heifers in that shipment. We used to retain total or partial ownership so we got all of the data. Not only carcass but feed and medical.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:36 am

They have good shade Dun. Also think that its the pollen and such sometimes to.
0 x

Tbrake
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tbrake » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:36 am

They are gelvieh Hereford cross. Not sure what to expect out of them, never tried this combo before. They sure look nice now. I don't think it is a heat issue truck shows 58 degrees this morning, they are breathing the same as they were back in the 95+ we had a week ago. I will talk to the guy who raised them and see if they had any troubles as calves. It is unlikely because he usually calls me to doctor them.
0 x

Tbrake
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tbrake » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:41 am

0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:56 am

I have a 6 month old calf that is doing the same. Never sick a day in it's life either. Calf eats fine and is growing nicely.

I thought allergies might play in to things also Red Bull Breeder.
0 x
J & D Cattle

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:24 am

This is intriguing because I have a 6 month old heifer I wanted to keep but was concerned about her heavy breathing - didn't keep one last year for the same reason. Zero other health issues and this one is one of the largest of all the calves this year, including steers. My plan was to go ahead & retain her but see what the vet thinks when he comes out to BANGS/pelvic measure.

Used to have an enormous Simm/Angus that always sounded like Darth Vador, didn't matter what time of year.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Vet can listen to lungs & tell you.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Health & Nutrition”