What's your current oldest cow?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: What's your current oldest cow?

Postby MRRherefords » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:02 pm

Great thread. I think we needed one like this. I just got rid of my oldest cow at 17 years old. Not because she was having problems, just switching the herd over to younger moms.
1 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:28 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Muddy wrote:Oldest cow in the herd with her 2017 bull calf. She is 16 years old right now.

She looks great! Have you kept any of her heifers?
Got a daughter out of her but she's solid black and I kinda of wanted to get a belted heifer out of the old cow. Galloway blood seems add longevity to our Angus cows. Her paternal (full angus) sisters of same age will be in the trailer this fall...late breeders. Her maternal sisters are in their early teens and shows no age on them.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:15 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
WalnutCrest wrote:
With horns lopsided like that, I wonder if she has a crick in her neck ever...

Our oldest is 23 in September; I'm hoping she's bred, but if she's not she goes... We'll know more in a month or two.

Until about 18 months ago, they were symmetrical. The left side just keeps dropping.

Wow, what would cause that? But I actually like them - gives her character.

Gravity is the only reasonably intelligent answer I can come up with. It's solid if you grab ahold of it. The Vet says that sometimes the horns just die, but I think that's code for I don't have a clue. I'm open to suggestions.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:24 pm

Our Nelly, she hasn't made the best daughters.. I have one, she's alright, another one I culled for being a pizz poor producer that starved her calf half to death.
Caddy (12 years old) has made 4 keeper heifers so far and has a couple up and coming granddaughters, 2 bulls (and I coulda shoulda woulda kept 2 others), so she's got lots of grandkids from the bulls side too..
My current "heifer of the year" Hera is both her granddaughter and niece, just head and shoulders above the rest, and her daughter (sired by her son) is another keeper for sure... It's nice when they just work

Caddy with granddaughter Sigma a month ago or so

Caddy with daughter

Hera

and a double granddaughter (full sibling mating).. I like the back and butt, could do with less chrome
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

hillbillyhammer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby hillbillyhammer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:26 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:She looks good.

My oldest one is 12, currently has her 12th calf at side.

Got bred young did she? I need some like her. :)
2 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:45 pm

hillbillyhammer wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:She looks good.

My oldest one is 12, currently has her 12th calf at side.

Got bred young did she? I need some like her. :)

She was born 3-1-05
1st calf 2-13-07 (she jumped out of 1 field & into the field with the bull----she's a hussy ;) )
2nd calf 1-16-08
3rd calf 3-4-09
4th 1-3-10
5th (got pregnant on 'calf-heat') 11-13-10
6th 9-29-11
7th 8-27-12
8th 8-13-13
9th 8-20-14
10th 9-1-15
11th 7-2-16
12th 6-16-17

This cow is a fertile Myrtle, like her mother. I have retained only 1 heifer from her and she takes after her mother, very fertile. (I should have retained a couple more).
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Image

Mid 20's. No shyt.

I like that lop-sided look. Character.
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:05 pm

A few years ago.

Coming three year old first calf heifer out of the old horn cow with her March 15 bull calf. We've kept several heifers out of the old cow, and they are all great producers.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:18 pm

A few years ago.

Coming three year old first calf heifer out of the old horn cow with her March 15 bull calf. We've kept several heifers out of the old cow, and they are all great producers.

That skunktail calf is very impressive. Any reason why you leave that calf intact or do you have plans for that calf?
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:20 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Muddy wrote:Oldest cow in the herd with her 2017 bull calf. She is 16 years old right now.

She looks great! Have you kept any of her heifers?

Here's her daughter, she has a little brindling on her but I guess she never threw a red calf or a brindled calf.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Here is a 15 years old commercial Angus cow...she has ugly udder but never had any trouble with her during calving season.

0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Muddy wrote:
A few years ago.

That skunktail calf is very impressive. Any reason why you leave that calf intact or do you have plans for that calf?

Thanks! That calf is 1/4 Longhorn and 3/4 Angus, and I'd consider that a terminal cross. We usually wean and then cut or band the bulls.....Just always got a better rate of gain that way.
1 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:52 pm

Culled 14years old cow last year. Her calves quality was dropping and her udder ligament wasn't holding at all. Have three daughters from her, some granddaughters and have used her daughter's son for breeding one season. Charolaisxdairy.
Image Freshly calved at 13 years.

This year will cull two more 14 years old cows. One could be kept for longer, but she has way less milk than usually this year, so she'll need to go. Have two daughters in the herd and some grandgranddaughters by one grandson. She's Limousinexdairy. Weaned her this year bull calf today. 518lbs at 6months and 3days age.
Another one is Herefordxdairy. In her lifetime she had two heifers, one was born this year. Will keep her to replace the mom. Cow is skinny and had mastitis in one teat this year, so will have to go too.
1 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:20 pm

10 I don't keep em past that
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:53 am

I suppose I have a young herd compared to most. My oldest are 6 years old; I have 10 of those.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”