What's your current oldest cow?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

hillbillyhammer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: What's your current oldest cow?

Postby hillbillyhammer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:25 am

Workinonit Farm wrote:
hillbillyhammer wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:She looks good.

My oldest one is 12, currently has her 12th calf at side.

Got bred young did she? I need some like her. :)

She was born 3-1-05
1st calf 2-13-07 (she jumped out of 1 field & into the field with the bull----she's a hussy ;) )
2nd calf 1-16-08
3rd calf 3-4-09
4th 1-3-10
5th (got pregnant on 'calf-heat') 11-13-10
6th 9-29-11
7th 8-27-12
8th 8-13-13
9th 8-20-14
10th 9-1-15
11th 7-2-16
12th 6-16-17

This cow is a fertile Myrtle, like her mother. I have retained only 1 heifer from her and she takes after her mother, very fertile. (I should have retained a couple more).

What breed is she?
0 x

creekdrive
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby creekdrive » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:10 pm

I really enjoy threads like these!
Here's our oldest girl:
She is currently 18 (born Jan 1999). Pictured a couple days ago. Purebred Angus cow. Bought her at a dispersal sale in 2008. She did not have a calf this spring so she really should've gone to town but on the other hand she doesn't owe us anything and if there was ever a cow that deserved to just die on the farm it would probably be her. But cull cow prices are still pretty high and we would probably be able to sell her for double what we paid for her or more. We will see what happens this fall. If she's bred we may just give her another chance. If not she will most likely get on the truck with the rest of our culls. :( We've sold 4 breeding bulls from her and have kept 3 daughters and have 1 granddaughter. Been a really good cow for us even if she did fail at her job this year.

this is probably the next oldest cow. Not exactly sure how old she is at least 15. She will be culled this fall after we wean her calf. Still looks & walks fine but her last 2 calves haven't been very good.

another old girl - probably 14 or so. She will also be culled this fall as she's getting a bad hip. She's the 'lead' cow whenever we walk cows home so will be interesting to see how the herd behaves without her next year. Have 1 daughter that had her first calf this spring and she has a nice heifer calf this year that we will keep.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:17 pm

hillbillyhammer wrote:What breed is she?

She's a black Angus. The only 100% one I have left. I bought her mother from the place where I used to work. Her mother was heavy bred, AI'd to GAR US Premium Beef (reg # 14301014). Her mother went on to have 3 more calves for me. (Angus cross)

Neither she nor her mother were registered. I got her mother for cull price, as she had had twins the year before and they didn't want to take chances that she's twin again. :roll:

**I tried to load a picture of her (2 times) for whatever reason it wouldn't load**
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:23 pm

creekdrive, those are nice looking cows.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:55 pm

We have a 13 year old, she raised an embryo every year since we owned her, except one AI sired calf. We kept her AI sired calf (WideTrack), a heifer, who is due in December to Built Right. Her daughter looks JUST LIKE HER (I will get pics). The only reason she is leaving is that we have too many cows, and she is the oldest in our herd, and she is having more difficulty this year (losing weight, hip seems to bug her some days....).
This is her:
Image\

Her daughter, a yearling:
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:25 pm

We still have two 2004 cows working in the herd. One is a carrier, we started using her as a recip when we got the carrier status. That has been quite a few years ago, then I said when she doesn't take an egg she is going to town, she is due with an ET calf on 10/12. The other is a pathfinder cow that just keeps getting the job done, they are the kind I find very difficult to send to town. We keep checking their teeth but so far so good. The oldest cow we have had was 17 she was a good simi angus cross cow that I sure hated to get rid of.

gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:29 am

Creekdrive, That 18 year old sure seems to have made the best of summer holidays, she's sure fat, and probably a tank to begin with!.. If she's bred she might have a dandy calf next year!

This is Rosie the day I put her down, just shy of 18, 16th calf at foot. A bad hip was the biggest ailment and another winter on ice would not have been good for her..

I have 3 daughters, all great producers, two of them are raising the two biggest heifer calves of the year sired by her grandson, the 3rd adopted a second calf, and the two calves weigh about 450 and 350 lbs at 160 days, so she's working hard.. then if I include the heifers I'm keeping this year, I'll have 5 granddaughters and 3 great granddaughters..
I'd really like to get a family photo, but getting them all to pose at once.. well.. that's gonna be hard

about 12 years old

16 years old, with granddaughter stealing.. Those two calves are two of my best cows now, Hers (closest to her) is Hera's mother, and absolute meatwagon, well into the 500's, if not into 600's at 160 days from a moderate sized momma.

Youngest daughter Kama doing double duty with the adoptee

Next youngest daughter Roma (sold her to a friend) with twins (Jack and Jill), and she looks super proud of them

Oldest daughter Caddy, 2006 model (with granddaughter at 110 days old or so?) She's about 500 now at 150 days

0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

mrvictordomino
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby mrvictordomino » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:46 pm

14 year old cow still very productive, have a few 13 year olds and several 12 year olds.

0 x
www.jmsvictordomino.com

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:51 pm

mrvictordomino wrote:14 year old cow still very productive, have a few 13 year olds and several 12 year olds.

Nice cow
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:52 pm

creekdrive wrote:I really enjoy threads like these!
Here's our oldest girl:
She is currently 18 (born Jan 1999). Pictured a couple days ago. Purebred Angus cow. Bought her at a dispersal sale in 2008. She did not have a calf this spring so she really should've gone to town but on the other hand she doesn't owe us anything and if there was ever a cow that deserved to just die on the farm it would probably be her. But cull cow prices are still pretty high and we would probably be able to sell her for double what we paid for her or more. We will see what happens this fall. If she's bred we may just give her another chance. If not she will most likely get on the truck with the rest of our culls. :( We've sold 4 breeding bulls from her and have kept 3 daughters and have 1 granddaughter. Been a really good cow for us even if she did fail at her job this year.

this is probably the next oldest cow. Not exactly sure how old she is at least 15. She will be culled this fall after we wean her calf. Still looks & walks fine but her last 2 calves haven't been very good.

another old girl - probably 14 or so. She will also be culled this fall as she's getting a bad hip. She's the 'lead' cow whenever we walk cows home so will be interesting to see how the herd behaves without her next year. Have 1 daughter that had her first calf this spring and she has a nice heifer calf this year that we will keep.

Would like to have a pasture full like the top cow.
0 x

younggun
Beginner
Beginner

Postby younggun » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:24 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Until about 18 months ago, they were symmetrical. The left side just keeps dropping.

I guess she's gettin to that age where "things start to sag"? Lol
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:38 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Image

Mid 20's. No shyt.

Fellow I know had a bull like that. He had to turn his head sideways to graze and he still had a flat spot on the down horn from it rubbing the ground. He sold the head and leather for a grand and ground up the rest.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

creekdrive
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby creekdrive » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:17 am

elkwc wrote:Would like to have a pasture full like the top cow.

Thanks - she has been a good cow. Here she is last summer with her heifer calf (who we kept, of course):
The last year and a half or so her back legs are kind of wearing out I think. Her rear pasterns are going down and her back feet aren't wearing as they should. Up until she was 16 she was dead sound. Walked her 8 miles home 2 falls ago and she didn't miss a beat.
When we first got her she was a scratcher. Had been halter broke & shown in her younger days. For a few years after we got her you could walk up and give her a pet and then just all of a sudden one day she decided she was not going to let any human touch her.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:20 am

great pic of her and the calf!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:55 pm

creekdrive wrote:
elkwc wrote:Would like to have a pasture full like the top cow.

Thanks - she has been a good cow. Here she is last summer with her heifer calf (who we kept, of course):
The last year and a half or so her back legs are kind of wearing out I think. Her rear pasterns are going down and her back feet aren't wearing as they should. Up until she was 16 she was dead sound. Walked her 8 miles home 2 falls ago and she didn't miss a beat.
When we first got her she was a scratcher. Had been halter broke & shown in her younger days. For a few years after we got her you could walk up and give her a pet and then just all of a sudden one day she decided she was not going to let any human touch her.

There is not anything not to like about that cow. To me she is even more impressive in this pic. How have her heifers performed. I like the pic of the heifer last year. A person wants to keep all the females like that they can. Any idea on breeding?
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”