Canning beans.....................

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby greybeard » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:45 pm

I have eaten okra before, right off of the stalk, but I don't attempt to claim it's safe.
I still work outside sometimes in thunderstorms if I feel it's necessary, even after getting hit by lightning, but I always caution others not to.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:51 pm

Been eating canned beans all my life. Spotless clean jars. new lids, and pressure cook them according to direction. Never hot water bath can them.
1 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:41 pm

Farmerjan I agree with everything you wrote but this

"Also, any meat has different types of bacteria, and no one blanches it because it is usually cooked after thawing. The difference is that freezing does not affect the cell structure of meat like it does vegetables, so it is as much for quality of the bean as for the food safety/bacteria issue also.

Freezing does in fact affect the cell wall structure of meat. Especially improper freezing. The cardinal rule with meat is this; FREEZE FAST AND THAW SLOW. The closer you come to this paradigm the less cell wall rupture you will have upon thawing and in turn the less purge you will have. Ideally you would freeze a steak individually on a sheet pan and the second it is frozen you would vacuum seal it. THEN when you want to eat it you would pull it out of the freezer and let it that SLOWLY in the fridge for a couple of days. This is NOT cast in stone but it's a great rule to try to follow.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:42 pm

Dave wrote:Been eating canned beans all my life. Spotless clean jars. new lids, and pressure cook them according to direction. Never hot water bath can them.

Probably why your still alive.LOLOL
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:47 pm

greybeard wrote:I have eaten okra before, right off of the stalk, but I don't attempt to claim it's safe.
I still work outside sometimes in thunderstorms if I feel it's necessary, even after getting hit by lightning, but I always caution others not to.

For liability reasons i never said it was safe.
I don't ever just lean over and bite it off the stalk like some kinda animal. I pick it with my hands
And maybe wipe it on my shirt first.

I have provided a link on lightning safety
https://www.safetyservicescompany.com/t ... uidelines/
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:15 pm

callmefence wrote:
greybeard wrote:I have eaten okra before, right off of the stalk, but I don't attempt to claim it's safe.

I don't ever just lean over and bite it off the stalk like some kinda animal. I pick it with my hands

Do you wipe off your hands or the vegetable? How well does using your shirt of wipe on work? Personally I use my pant leg.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:40 pm

Dave wrote:
callmefence wrote:

Do you wipe off your hands or the vegetable? How well does using your shirt of wipe on work? Personally I use my pant leg.

I wipe of the vegetables. I will use my pants leg as well. If I'm wearing pants.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:15 pm

I hadn't checked in for a couple of days and this thread has taken off off. :lol: I opened a quart of the beans in the picture tonight and ate about half of them. I am not dead yet and I hope I make it til morning. Beans IMO needs pressured 10 pounds until up to pressure and then cooked at least another 20 minutes and they will seal good and taste good...no hot water bath. I really don't like to hot water bath anything...just put 5 pound pressure and take it off immediately usually want cook anything to death and will seal the lids good and be safe.
1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:28 pm

3waycross wrote:Farmerjan I agree with everything you wrote but this

"Also, any meat has different types of bacteria, and no one blanches it because it is usually cooked after thawing. The difference is that freezing does not affect the cell structure of meat like it does vegetables, so it is as much for quality of the bean as for the food safety/bacteria issue also.

Freezing does in fact affect the cell wall structure of meat. Especially improper freezing. The cardinal rule with meat is this; FREEZE FAST AND THAW SLOW. The closer you come to this paradigm the less cell wall rupture you will have upon thawing and in turn the less purge you will have. Ideally you would freeze a steak individually on a sheet pan and the second it is frozen you would vacuum seal it. THEN when you want to eat it you would pull it out of the freezer and let it that SLOWLY in the fridge for a couple of days. This is NOT cast in stone but it's a great rule to try to follow.

I agree with you that freezing will affect the cell structure of meat. What I guess I didn't convey was that difference in the freezing of vegetables and freezing of meat is that the meat does not have the amount of water in the cell that the vegetables does. So it does not lose the shape or get as mushy as the vegetables do. The "like" that I used did not explain it very well. I just meant that they have a different type of cell structure so the freezing affects them differently.
I also agree that fast freezing is better. Hey, look at semen...if the freezing destroyed the cell walls like it does in vegetables, there would never be any A I done except with fresh not frozen semen. And you are right, that is frozen fast.... but it is also thawed fairly fast too.....
2 x

Return to “Gardening”