Setting up question

The place to start if you are new!
tjmdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Setting up question

Postby tjmdo » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:50 am

Looking to make our land purchase. 148acres with perimeter fence and 3 ponds. Some working pens as well. We want to run a grass fed operation and the grass is ok. Looking to find out what we would need to get set up and working before we put the cows out. We want to set it up to make it user friendly with easy paddock rotations before we put the cattle out. Any suggestions? Thanks
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Setting up question

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:56 am

Cross fence it. Rotational grazing is a must for you.
2 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:26 am

Probably the best set up idea on pastures I've read on here:

zirlottkim wrote:I had a crummy little setup when I first started. It was next to impossible to get them all caught. When I was adding more pasture, my fence builder pleaded with me to set up a lane system with net wire that runs through the entire property. He is a heckuva cow man as well as a fence builder so I took his advice. Every rotation is through the lane. Also, the catch pen is incorporated to the lane so any move and they're caught. Sure made things a lot easier than my original setup.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

zirlottkim
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby zirlottkim » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:45 am

slick4591 wrote:Probably the best set up idea on pastures I've read on here:

zirlottkim wrote:I had a crummy little setup when I first started. It was next to impossible to get them all caught. When I was adding more pasture, my fence builder pleaded with me to set up a lane system with net wire that runs through the entire property. He is a heckuva cow man as well as a fence builder so I took his advice. Every rotation is through the lane. Also, the catch pen is incorporated to the lane so any move and they're caught. Sure made things a lot easier than my original setup.

I should've walked you through my catch pen when you were here. Sure works good. I had my 10 year old daughter pen them up a couple times. They think they are just moving to greener grass. When they realize it, they're caught. All credit goes to my fence builder.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:55 am

zirlottkim wrote:

I should've walked you through my catch pen when you were here. Sure works good. I had my 10 year old daughter pen them up a couple times. They think they are just moving to greener grass. When they realize it, they're caught. All credit goes to my fence builder.

I would have loved it, but my family would have had issues with me talking cows for a while when they were sitting in the truck. :lol:
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:30 pm

I would fence the ponds off and set up a central watering location and have lanes set up for the cattle to get to this watering area - on the same lines as what slick is describing of zirlottkim's setup. This way they become familiar with your working area. This is how I do mine.

I haven't fenced my pond off and you wouldn't have to as long as you have a couple of fenced pastures with no water in them. When I need to work cattle I get the cattle in a pasture without a pond and deprive them of water for a spell. Then to get them toward the loading or working area all I need do is open the gate to the water source and they walk right in. Inside this area is a maze of pens and gates and alleys.

This makes life much simpler.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:30 pm

Are you already familiar with cattle?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:44 pm

zirlottkim wrote:

Care to draw a sketch of your pasture/pen set up? Sounds interesting
0 x

zirlottkim
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby zirlottkim » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:54 pm

Google maps does not have an updated image of my property. I think these are back from when we were building everything. I have since added a lean to from the barn to cover the working chute and extended the hay barn but it gives an idea. You can see the lane crossing the property. There is a road splitting the property but with the lanes directly across from each other, moving across the road is easy too.

0 x

pdubdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby pdubdo » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:04 pm

those pics are worth 1000 words-thanks for sharing those
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”