Got some I'm starting!

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Got some I'm starting!

Postby Black and Good » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:51 pm

Getting some calves picked weaned and started on the halters. Thought I'd share. B&G

2 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Got some I'm starting!

Postby Nesikep » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:55 pm

They don't look thrilled about the idea, but don't look freaked either.. I haven't done much this summer on the halter breaking front.. maybe in a couple months after weaning I'll have a couple relearn the deal (they were haltered at a month old for a while)
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:27 am

Keep posting your progress, I tied up 2 of my heifers for first time on Sunday and again today. I am a novice at this so will be interested in your progress.

Ken
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:08 am

I understand why you're doing this. But how do you go about it? Tie them up for a bit. Use treats and get them used to you? I'd like to know how from someone who is doing it.
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:11 am

I personally, have never showed cattle. But, some very good friends of mine who have a daughter who has won a ton of shows offered to show them for me, if I paid for everything. I'm hoping that this will help me get my name out there about my registered cattle. I try and be there every evening to do what I can to help and learn. I pulled them off mamma and took them there where we worked them and put halters on in the chute then wrestled them to a tie up spot and let them stand for a couple hours then went to them and started petting them some. Unfortunately, the bull in the first picture kicked something and injured his left rear foot. So, for now we took his halter off so he could heal. But, it's been only 3 days and with a stick they can grab their rope and with someone walking behind they are being lead! They we're naturally pretty quiet to start with. In case anyone was wondering left to right in first picture= PB Gelbvieh bull, PB Gelbvieh heifer and 50/50 Balancer heifer. Second picture= 50/50 Balancer bull. Pretty interesting. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:34 pm

I halter broke a Brahman bull calf once,,thought I'd get him where I could handle him and show off a bit...I soon decided he could breed cows without my help... :lol2:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:24 pm

I like that bull calf in the first picture Rod.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:20 am

3waycross wrote:I like that bull calf in the first picture Rod.

Thanks Vic. That's the calf that hurt his foot. :( B&G
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”