Winter Garden 2017

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Winter Garden 2017

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:02 am

Anyone got theirs in yet? I am planting cabbage kurly kale kurly mustard collard greens and purple top turnips broccoli.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Re: Winter Garden 2017

Postby cow pollinater » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:52 am

I've got broccoli and brussel sprouts out and parsnip seed starting to germinate. Onions, garlic spinach and cabbage are going in today unless I get sidetracked like I did the last four times I've said that.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:35 pm

Last Wednesday, I put out mustard greens, collards, both purple top, and white turnips, beets. Last night, put out some lettuce, black seeded Simpson and Romaine, spinach, and kale. Should have some Roma beans coming in around early part of October.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:10 pm

I'm still getting tomatoes and peppers. They are pretty much played out though. I'll probably clean it up and plant something next couple weeks. Does anybody use pine straw in their garden? Seems to me like I could cover the whole garden in It and keep the weeds out.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:12 pm

Craig Miller wrote:I'm still getting tomatoes and peppers. They are pretty much played out though. I'll probably clean it up and plant something next couple weeks. Does anybody use pine straw in their garden? Seems to me like I could cover the whole garden in It and keep the weeds out.

I am still getting those too... I just dug a bunch of sweet potatoes as well. I would never put pine needles in mine
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:58 pm

Craig Miller wrote:I'm still getting tomatoes and peppers. They are pretty much played out though. I'll probably clean it up and plant something next couple weeks. Does anybody use pine straw in their garden? Seems to me like I could cover the whole garden in It and keep the weeds out.

Have you ever tried just pruning those tomatoes back? We did a few plants last year and milked those vines for a few more in the cooler weather.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:13 pm

slick4591 wrote:

Have you ever tried just pruning those tomatoes back? We did a few plants last year and milked those vines for a few more in the cooler weather.

Never tried that. But I think my wife has canned all the tomatoes she intends to can this year. Most of them just dried up and died. How do you prune them?
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Craig Miller wrote:
slick4591 wrote:

Never tried that. But I think my wife has canned all the tomatoes she intends to can this year. Most of them just dried up and died. How do you prune them?

I mowed mine about two weeks ago. They are coming back strong.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:20 pm

I just cut down to large forks and they shot out around the cuts. We can never find plants for a fall garden and heard of this method. They didn't make as many as the spring crop, but those bacon and fresh tomato sandwiches were sure good in late September.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:21 pm

Pine needles will mess with your PH and are slow to break down.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:40 pm

cow pollinater wrote:Pine needles will mess with your PH and are slow to break down.

Raises it or lowers it?
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:07 pm

I use it as mulch around tomato plants and also I cover the ground with it in a small blueberry orchard. It does not eliminate weeds but it helps keep them at bay. I mainly use it because it shades the soil thus reducing soil temperature and helps conserve moisture. The pH factor is a non issue. If breakdown of pinestraw acts as a soil acidifier, that's good for the blueberries and it won't break down fast enough to have any effect on the tomatoes.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:27 pm

ga.prime wrote:

I use it as mulch around tomato plants and also I cover the ground with it in a small blueberry orchard. It does not eliminate weeds but it helps keep them at bay. I mainly use it because it shades the soil thus reducing soil temperature and helps conserve moisture. The pH factor is a non issue. If breakdown of pinestraw acts as a soil acidifier, that's good for the blueberries and it won't break down fast enough to have any effect on the tomatoes.

Thanks. I'm always looking for ways to improve my garden and make things easier. With my work keeping me gone for two weeks at a time the grass and weeds will get ahead quick especially in a year that's wet like this one. My wife works hard to keep it clean but can't do everthing.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”