Buying a Bull

The place to start if you are new!
ChipC
Beginner
Beginner

Buying a Bull

Postby ChipC » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:08 pm

I am planning on going to look at a bull that I am interested in buying this week. The bull is registered and I am paying what I consider a premium price. This is my first experience buying a registered bull and I was wondering if there is anything in particular I should look for on the registration to know that the bull on paper is the bull I am buying? I know this may sound silly to ask but I know in the horse buying and trading world it is not uncommon to run across some crooks. Horse registration papers often have special markings listed on the paper work (feet colorings, neck patches, etc...), but I don't think cow papers do. If I am being over paranoid, it will not hurt my feelings to tell me.

Thanks in advance!
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Buying a Bull

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:24 pm

ChipC wrote:I am planning on going to look at a bull that I am interested in buying this week. The bull is registered and I am paying what I consider a premium price. This is my first experience buying a registered bull and I was wondering if there is anything in particular I should look for on the registration to know that the bull on paper is the bull I am buying? I know this may sound silly to ask but I know in the horse buying and trading world it is not uncommon to run across some crooks. Horse registration papers often have special markings listed on the paper work (feet colorings, neck patches, etc...), but I don't think cow papers do. If I am being over paranoid, it will not hurt my feelings to tell me.

Thanks in advance!
is the seller a well known, reputable breeder? The Good ones do not!want a bad rep....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Some breed associations require an ear tattoo to match the papers.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

ChipC
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ChipC » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:42 pm

It appears to be a reputable breeder. They are listed on Brangus breeders.net and a have good looking website.
0 x

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Franke » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:27 pm

In the Simmentals it's a tattoo that has to be on the paper. Are you going to sell or register his offspring? If not and you weren't looking for a heifer bull I wouldn't worry too much.
1 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:15 pm

I don't doubt that it's happened, but I've never heard of someone cheating a buyer that way. I wouldn't worry about it.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:44 pm

I only can speak to Angus:
The only way to know without a doubt if you own the bull that's listed on the registration paper is to do a DNA test.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:52 am

Chocolate Cow wrote:I only can speak to Angus:
The only way to know without a doubt if you own the bull that's listed on the registration paper is to do a DNA test.

Well, I guess you can check the ear tattoo. I suppose theoretically someone could fudge that but I have never heard of it. The entire biz is predicated on a certain amount of honesty...
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Belted Galloways need an ear tatoo if registered.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:01 pm

If in doubt of the integrity of the seller - don't buy.
I honestly never heard of anyone getting swindled like that. Not saying it hasn't or won't happen.
Tattoo is the only thing you can check - and if they are crooked, they can fix that problem. Make sure there isn't fresh ink!!!! LOL
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:23 pm

Some years ago I bought several Angus bulls at a registered production sale. For grins & giggles I DNA'd them. One wouldn't match back to the cow. He matched the sire but not his mother. Whoa. The deal got a lot of attention I wasn't prepared for. Angus Assoc ended up pulling his registration paper. Never did figure out who his mother was but there were a lot of people asking questions and pointing fingers.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:46 pm

That can happen in big herds calving groups together. A boss cow can steal a calf from another less dominant cow. Calves get swapped (by cows) and owners do not know it.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:54 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:That can happen in big herds calving groups together. A boss cow can steal a calf from another less dominant cow. Calves get swapped (by cows) and owners do not know it.

It would be found out if you had to do DNA test for parentage as there would not be a match.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:13 pm

slick4591 wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:That can happen in big herds calving groups together. A boss cow can steal a calf from another less dominant cow. Calves get swapped (by cows) and owners do not know it.

It would be found out if you had to do DNA test for parentage as there would not be a match.

Pricey to do it on every calf. The Red Angus Association requires DNA on all bulls to register their calves.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:26 pm

dun wrote:Pricey to do it on every calf. The Red Angus Association requires DNA on all bulls to register their calves.

Both Pied associations requires it done on all registered animals. I think it runs around $60 per animal.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”