Camera angle or

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Camera angle or

Postby Nesikep » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:20 pm

I saw one of them with a trunk of 158, but he was also MUCH taller.. about 4" taller at the withers.. Not sure that increased trunk length is worth the increased frame score
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:13 pm

Did you see anything in there you liked more than this guy?
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:00 pm

I looked and I looked.. A number of them came close, but just nothing that definitely said "this is better"..

What's the difference between birth ease and calving ease? Maternal vs direct?

Usignolo.. slightly low on calving ease and docility, if you have a tame herd you might not notice it
121cm height, 152cm length, 195 chest

Ulfo, about the same numbers as above, better CE and doc, he's all around a big boy
121 / 165 / 198

Veto, nothing below average.. well, except length, but like the one you posted, he's also a smaller frame... he's still 7cm longer but maintains the same height..
115 / 145 / 184

Not saying any of these are better, just a few more comparisons.. wish they'd list the phenotype numbers on the listings page to compare them
Last edited by Nesikep on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:09 pm

Yep, been thru them all several times and none have caught my eye with the numbers like Uro. I've asked about the CE number and all I've gotten is they seem to spit out large calves easier. Not that many heifer bulls in the breed, so that number is pretty important I'm told.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:01 pm

So the "Calving ease" would be the maternal aspect, and "Birth ease" would be the direct.. though that doesn't make a whole lot of sense either if they're putting emphasis on "Calving ease" for heifer bulls.

I do notice that the bulls there typically are above average on everything except docility and CE... How is the breed as a whole for docility?
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:55 pm

I've just talked to a couple of people about the CE and I hope I'm repeating what I was told correctly. Guess it's nice to breed heifers that will spit out a hundred pounder than to use a heifer bull you don't care for. The docility is something that I really don't understand because I've found they are like most all bovine. The more time you put into them the better they are with you. I think I ruined the young bull I have now because I put a wild eyed Brahman cross heifer in the pasture with him when he was young. He took up with her and has been really cautious of me ever since. Guess I'd rather have one that gave me my space than one that didn't.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:19 am

Docility is a really complicated subject, especially when it comes to bulls... I make a very clear difference between TAME (lets you scratch him) and docile (doesn't get stirred up).. My homeraised bull is both.. Yeah, he comes close, but he's absolutely laid back and calm, you can work cows around him and he just goes with the flow.. My Limo is tame as well, but he will get excited about getting worked.
I've had pet cows that are dolls to work with, but there's just something in their eye when they have a calf that keeps me on edge (Rosie was one, though she never even so much as bluffed me).. Mega on the other hand was completely cool and collected after calving, even with relative strangers she ordinarily didn't like, she didn't show aggression toward them in the least
And yes, they do take after their peers, and it just takes ONE nutjob that freaks out about everything to set the whole herd's mood into flight mode.. Finally I've gotten rid of them all, still have a few antisocial cows, but that's OK, they don't freak out.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Well, going back over this thread and reading the more experienced cattleperson's opinions I pulled the trigger on Uro and ordered him today. I really appreciate all the responses! I think he will work with the three heifers I'll have. Crazy thing is the US only gets to order semen from Italy once and sometimes twice a year, then only the bulls they select.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:26 pm

Hope he works out for you!.. post pics of calves when you get them!
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:48 pm

I will. It'll be a while because it might be six months before the semen gets here.
0 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:54 pm

Good deal! Hopefully your heifers calve with no problems. I wonder if there is anything like this for Limousin
1 x

Return to “Breeds Board”