Fly predators

Cattle problems.
Cucumber35
Cowhand
Cowhand

Fly predators

Postby Cucumber35 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:40 pm

https://www.spalding-labs.com/

Anybody heard of or tried this? My girlfriend was talking to the owner of the big fancy horse barn she takes one of the girls she nannies for to for riding lessons. She said she noticed they had very few flies. The lady told her that's what they use, costs them around $600 a year but she said it makes a big difference. Of course this is the 'organic' option, which the rich people around there buy anything if it says that. :roll:
I told her I doubt they would make much difference or survive in the manure very long since we are deworming regularly, and I'm not about to stop doing that...
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Fly predators

Postby dun » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:11 pm

The only time they seem to work is in centralized areas. A horse barn, maybe a milk parlor or a confinement feeding area.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:27 am

A few of the dairies I've worked on in the past used them as their only fly control. They work well in that setting.
Your dewormer won't hurt them but you can't do any kind of fly spraying around barns and such where they are without setting them back.
The key is to start as soon as your first flies show up so that their population follows the fly buildup. If you turn out to many at once then you kill all of the flies and the predators die for lack of a host and then the flies come back with a vengeance.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:20 am

dun wrote:The only time they seem to work is in centralized areas. A horse barn, maybe a milk parlor or a confinement feeding area.

Use to use them on the dairy. No doubt they were effective but as many flies as most dairies have it was hard to say they even made a dent in the fly population. Ordered them from Kunafin.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:30 pm

If you are going to take the time to "sprinkle" something, why not just put down hydrated lime?? We use it all the time on any "wet" spots in the barn.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

sstterry
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby sstterry » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:44 am

dun wrote:The only time they seem to work is in centralized areas. A horse barn, maybe a milk parlor or a confinement feeding area.

I have a friend that runs a dairy and they use something similar. This will only work in a centralized area as Dun said. Not effective at all for grazing cattle.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”