Dumbest mistake youve made

The place to start if you are new!
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Postby Nesikep » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:10 am

Brute 23 wrote:I did the tailgate deal one time but with a bumper pull. I was driving up the ramps and it came off the hitch. The trailer jumped up and popped the tailgate right below the handle. I had no choice but the back down so it put a nice gouge down to the bumper.

The funny thing is it made a distinct mark. Now that I look for it there are quite a few tailgates on the road with the same mark.

It's like the marks a jack-knifed trailer leaves on the bumper!
1 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:59 am

Nesikep wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I did the tailgate deal one time but with a bumper pull. I was driving up the ramps and it came off the hitch. The trailer jumped up and popped the tailgate right below the handle. I had no choice but the back down so it put a nice gouge down to the bumper.

The funny thing is it made a distinct mark. Now that I look for it there are quite a few tailgates on the road with the same mark.

It's like the marks a jack-knifed trailer leaves on the bumper!
or a cab, or a bedside top.. Man here was turning on a road and his tail gate dropped open. Trailer caught it and bent it.taking the bedside out in the process
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:04 pm

Cross-7 wrote:Bought cattle !
a lot of folks did,some hocked a lot to buy em...then when the bottom dropped out,they wanted to sell em...
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:22 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:Not selling my heard in 2014 and buying back in 2016, anybody got a time machine i can borrow?

I hear people say that all the time, but the 2 calf crops you sold during that time should have made you happy.

The dummies are the one's that retained heifers in 2012 - 2014.

I kept several.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:48 pm

I kept a few heifers as well in those years, but I also kept my culls, and by some stroke of luck, I sold them all right on the week of peak prices.. Got more for my PB bull than I paid for him 5 years earlier ($3100!!).. cull cows got about $1.40/lb that week, and my most awful looking dink calf got $3.75 /lb for 385 lbs.. that sure made up for the retained heifers!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:59 pm

I did a good one with a dog trailer one time. It was about 4x8, single axle, we had put a long tongue on it so you could back it. My dad and I pulled in to my driveway to grab some thing. He and I were jawing back and forth and I started to back up... before I knew it the trailer was jack knifed beside me. I totally forgot is was back there.

We jumped out and my dad said... It did even hit the bumper. I said... what about the fender. He said... Oh $hit!. It caved in the fender between the tire and the bumper.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:09 pm

Nesikep wrote:I kept a few heifers as well in those years, but I also kept my culls, and by some stroke of luck, I sold them all right on the week of peak prices.. Got more for my PB bull than I paid for him 5 years earlier ($3100!!).. cull cows got about $1.40/lb that week, and my most awful looking dink calf got $3.75 /lb for 385 lbs.. that sure made up for the retained heifers!

It might of made you feel better about keeping the high priced retained heifers, but you can't ever make up for lost money.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:27 pm

gizmom wrote:Are you talking just today?

Gizmom

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:29 pm

dun wrote:A freind of mine has been married 5-6 times. 3 of those to his first wife. They've been together now for over 20 years (this time)

:lol2: :lol2:

Sounds like Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton! :lol:
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:57 am

We were loading trailers one day and I was the last trailer. They stuck a couple of cull bulls on me and slammed the gate by the time I got out of the truck so I jumped back in and drove away without checking. On that trailer the safety chain is what holds the sliding half gate shut...
It is a lonely feeling when you're standing on the side of the highway poking a bull that just came out of rough country in the face with your index finger hoping he'll go ahead and back up.
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Probably the worst dumb mistake I've ever made was letting my boss talk me into riding a free horse off on a week long trip into the back country. Common sense dictates that you figure out what you've got first.
That was over twenty years ago and I still limp on cold damp mornings and the hearing loss the doctors told me I would have showed up a few years back and is getting worse.
0 x

Dueyb
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dueyb » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Probably not the dumbest but recent and hurt like a be nice. Loaded atv into back of my truck wearing shorts and flip flops late at night....one leg slipped through the space in the aluminum ramp all the way down. I was laughing and cussing at the same time.
0 x

Dueyb
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dueyb » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:22 pm

Oh and recently left an empty gravity wagon at top of hill unblocked only to wake up next morning to find it at the bottom of the lane about 200 yards away. Just missed a steep ditch, mailbox and fence.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Dueyb wrote:Oh and recently left an empty gravity wagon at top of hill unblocked only to wake up next morning to find it at the bottom of the lane about 200 yards away. Just missed a steep ditch, mailbox and fence.
ida beat that, it would have taken out every thing in its path...
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Right down the road is 300+ acres we thought about buying back when land was selling for under 300 an acre. Decided we had enough land and didn't get it. That place just sold for 1/2 mil.. Yep, regret that...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Return to “Beginners Board”