wasps nest in mineral feeders

Cattle problems.
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

wasps nest in mineral feeders

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:48 am

got stung twice soon as I touched the feeder..just went to check minerals and salt...

I don't do well with wasps bees..i swell like a hot air balloon..epeipen on the mule at all times

anyone else deal with this...kinda explains why it wasn't getting used much...must be a big nest I saw at least 20 flying as I was running away
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: wasps nest in mineral feeders

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:18 am

Yes sir. Thanks for bringing this forward. I have 2 barrel feeders on the back 30. I have had to tear down wasps nests all summer. Makes me wonder if it deters the cows from using them.
0 x

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:20 am

Had that problem with one of my creep feeders this year. Finally sprayed them after killing a few with my hat and a tennis racket.
0 x

kd4au
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kd4au » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:42 am

Yes, I have wasp nest in my barrel mineral feeders. I spray them. Usually I only have trouble when I rotate pastures and the cows or not using the feeder for a few days. My cows eat a lot of mineral so I'm putting mineral in them on a regular basis.
0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:05 am

the spray don't keep the cows from using it..that why I didn't hose it down..its got a lot in it so I didn't wanna ruin it with spray
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:10 am

Barrel feeders will attract wasps just due to the fact that there is such a large protected area of unused area in the barrel. We used to see this problem in our "shed" style of mineral feeders as well. Changing all feeders over to the ground style mineral feeders (the ones with the big rubber flaps on them) will solve this issue.
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:23 am

TN Cattle Man wrote:Barrel feeders will attract wasps just due to the fact that there is such a large protected area of unused area in the barrel. We used to see this problem in our "shed" style of mineral feeders as well. Changing all feeders over to the ground style mineral feeders (the ones with the big rubber flaps on them) will solve this issue.

Brian,

I started out with the ground feeders with the flaps. I still use one in the facility holding pen. I now like the feeders with an above ground trough and low metal roof. Mine is made by the Amish and is constructed out of heavy ork
0 x

kd4au
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kd4au » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:30 am

dieselbeef wrote:the spray don't keep the cows from using it..that why I didn't hose it down..its got a lot in it so I didn't wanna ruin it with spray

Not sure if I ever sprayed with min. in the feeder and I don't spray but enough to get them. I have knocked them down with a stick and they usually leave if I have a lot of min. that I don't want to waste.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:32 am

kd4au wrote:
dieselbeef wrote:the spray don't keep the cows from using it..that why I didn't hose it down..its got a lot in it so I didn't wanna ruin it with spray

Not sure if I ever sprayed with min. in the feeder and I don't spray but enough to get them. I have knocked them down with a stick and they usually leave if I have a lot of min. that I don't want to waste.

That is what I do. I put on my welding gloves and mash the nest and wasps. I would not spray over my minerals.
1 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:47 am

You can just throw water with a tad of Dawn soap on them and it kills almost instantly.. We had a nest above our sawmill that we didn't notice (It was the size of a dinner plate, lol doh). We kept having wasp flying around our face. Started on a saw pass and I looked up and saw this nest and all the wasp looking at us. It was high up, about 15 ft so I couldn't throw soapy water at them. We used a spray made for wasp and it did almost nothing at first other than make them fly and took forever to kill the first one. We kept having to spray it and it made the sawmill area unusable for a while. I looked in one of our mineral feeders yesterday and there is a giant nest in there, but i'll use soapy water so that I kill them fast...I'll fill a coffee can up with warm water(warm water helps some but isn't that important)..i'll just squirt in a tad of dawn..It works amazing fast, its all I use except for the ones high up...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:52 am

cowgirl8 wrote:You can just throw water with a tad of Dawn soap on them and it kills almost instantly.. We had a nest above our sawmill that we didn't notice (It was the size of a dinner plate, lol doh). We kept having wasp flying around our face. Started on a saw pass and I looked up and saw this nest and all the wasp looking at us. It was high up, about 15 ft so I couldn't throw soapy water at them. We used a spray made for wasp and it did almost nothing at first other than make them fly and took forever to kill the first one. We kept having to spray it and it made the sawmill area unusable for a while. I looked in one of our mineral feeders yesterday and there is a giant nest in there, but i'll use soapy water so that I kill them fast...I'll fill a coffee can up with warm water(warm water helps some but isn't that important)..i'll just squirt in a tad of dawn..It works amazing fast, its all I use except for the ones high up...

Agree. Oils or detergents block the small tubes called spiracles on each abdominal segment that exchanges air. Thus, they quickly suffocate.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:56 am

Bright Raven wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:You can just throw water with a tad of Dawn soap on them and it kills almost instantly.. We had a nest above our sawmill that we didn't notice (It was the size of a dinner plate, lol doh). We kept having wasp flying around our face. Started on a saw pass and I looked up and saw this nest and all the wasp looking at us. It was high up, about 15 ft so I couldn't throw soapy water at them. We used a spray made for wasp and it did almost nothing at first other than make them fly and took forever to kill the first one. We kept having to spray it and it made the sawmill area unusable for a while. I looked in one of our mineral feeders yesterday and there is a giant nest in there, but i'll use soapy water so that I kill them fast...I'll fill a coffee can up with warm water(warm water helps some but isn't that important)..i'll just squirt in a tad of dawn..It works amazing fast, its all I use except for the ones high up...

Agree. Oils or detergents block the small tubes called spiracles on each abdominal segment that exchanges air. Thus, they quickly suffocate.

It takes so little too. I had a old guy long ago tell me they used their old dish water to kill them..now that's being frugal...
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:59 am

Bright Raven wrote:
kd4au wrote:

That is what I do. I put on my welding gloves and mash the nest and wasps. I would not spray over my minerals.

Why? A little bit of wasp spray isn't going to hurt a cow. If it's approved for over the counter usage it can't be harmful. Starting fluid - brake kleen will kill wasp better than most sprays.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:06 am

I use a sprayer with permethrin and talstar in it just one lil shot and it takes care of them I would rather have to dump some mineral than getting ate up by them. It hits them they cant fly and fall start crawling then die.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:09 am

Why use anything other than soap?
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”