Pinkeye

Cattle problems.
Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Re: Pinkeye

Postby Lucky_P » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:36 pm

I have no doubt that plane of nutrition - especially mineral/micronutrient nutrition - and lack of stress play a role in both incidence and severity. Forage management (pasture clipping... which I do not do) also probably plays a role to some degree.

As far back as the 1980s, researchers were looking at genetic markers that seemed to be linked to increased resistance to one disease condition or another... I remember way back then, someone at TAMU was looking at genes that seemed to code for resistance to infection with brucellosis. In recent years, some attention has been paid to identifying animals that carry resistance to developing bovine respiratory disease... but I don't know where they are, at present, with regard to identifying any specific gene markers associated with that... but suspect that it's coming at some point.
0 x

redandblack
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby redandblack » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:58 pm

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the pink eye also, bought 25 bred heifers last year went and picked them out not a single eye problem. Got them home and within three weeks half of them had pink eye, none of my other cows had it, neighbor runs 100+ head in identical pastures, with identical mineral and fly control and he didn't have any. First time I have really heard about stress being a factor, but kinda makes sense based on my experience
0 x

kd4au
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kd4au » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:01 am

Can't believe that the brimmer pimp hasn't posted on this subject. Get some brimmers and you wont have pinkeye. All jokes aside I have been vaccinating the last few years and it seems to be working. I have been vaccinating just the calves but this year I'm giving every cow that goes through the chute a shot also.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”