Sulfer Blocks

Cattle problems.
kilroy60
Cowhand
Cowhand

Sulfer Blocks

Postby kilroy60 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:42 am

Can someone tell me about sulfer blocks for cattle? Tractor supply has them and a friend of mine says his cattle are really going through these blocks. I'm just curious to know what else other than sulfer and salt these blocks have and the importance of these blocks (if any). We keep good mineral out but was just wondering if there was something I'm missing.
Thanks,
0 x

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Re: Sulfer Blocks

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:33 am

Loose mineral and sack salt is as good as it gets. The blocks don't amount to much.
0 x

kd4au
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kd4au » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:46 am

I have always been told the sulfur blocks will help cows shed off the old hair and it seems to work when I've tried them. Sulfur is a drug so I don't know how much should be feed.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:27 am

Probably more sulfer blocks fed around here than loose mineral especially during fly season. It depends really on who's advise you want to follow. Old-timers who have been making a living off cattle all their lives or the university studies that say it's no good.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

kd4au
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kd4au » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:36 am

callmefence wrote:Probably more sulfer blocks fed around here than loose mineral especially during fly season. It depends really on who's advise you want to follow. Old-timers who have been making a living off cattle all their lives or the university studies that say it's no good.

Could you explain why your feeding them. I fed them to help the cows shed hair.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:43 am

kd4au wrote:
callmefence wrote:Probably more sulfer blocks fed around here than loose mineral especially during fly season. It depends really on who's advise you want to follow. Old-timers who have been making a living off cattle all their lives or the university studies that say it's no good.

I've heard of the hair shedding thing but the primary reason their fed here is parasite particularly fly control. Also it's often fed when supplemental urea is being fed.
That's all I can give is the reason, I can't give the science.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

kd4au
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kd4au » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:46 am

callmefence wrote:
kd4au wrote:

I've heard of the hair shedding thing but the primary reason their fed here is parasite particularly fly control. Also it's often fed when supplemental urea is being fed.
That's all I can give is the reason, I can't give the science.

Thanks . Never heard of it helping control flies.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:01 am

[quote="kd4au"Thanks . Never heard of it helping control flies.[/quote]
Neighbor says it stops horse flies. He uses them and has more horse flies then I do.
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:15 am

I am in agreement with Callmefence, the old timers around here swore by them and a lot are still sold. They say they keep down the flies. I always say that I am willing to learn and try new things but keep some things traditional too, I still put out Sulphur blocks during the summer :hide: . All other times of the year and also in addition to the Sulphur blocks I feed a loose chelated mineral, which costs about $24 per bag. I honestly can't say if the blocks help or not, some years I think maybe so, and then this year, not at all.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:18 am

Ky hills wrote:I am in agreement with Callmefence, the old timers around here swore by them and a lot are still sold. They say they keep down the flies. I always say that I am willing to learn and try new things but keep some things traditional too, I still put out Sulphur blocks during the summer :hide: . All other times of the year and also in addition to the Sulphur blocks I feed a loose chelated mineral, which costs about $24 per bag. I honestly can't say if the blocks help or not, some years I think maybe so, and then this year, not at all.

Are horseflies bad there? Awful this year. I have seen as many as 6 on one cow.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:30 pm

Sulfur salt blocks supply a small sulfur source for the cow........let's not make any claims past this as most are the "old wives tale" types.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:55 am

I'll tell you this much, it prevents rheumatoid arthritis. Not a single case since we started putting out sulfur blocks.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

kilroy60
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kilroy60 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:43 am

Thanks for the comments. Think I'll just leave them alone for now.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:30 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I'll tell you this much, it prevents rheumatoid arthritis. Not a single case since we started putting out sulfur blocks.

Probably a good elephant repellent too
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highpoint » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Sulfur raises vitamin d levels it zinc and high good fat. Vitamin d level is the level of cholesterol sulfate or rate cells regenerate at least in humans. Can't imagine why pastures become deficient but you are right about the arthritis because all these older men who loose their knee joints do so because the body pulls sulfur when deficient from the cartledge. Many people I know take organic sulfur daily because RO water does not have enough. I noticed that some cattle feed use saw dust which also has sulfur plus many trace minerals.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”