Pictures of Bulls Wanted

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Pictures of Bulls Wanted

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:03 pm

A good friend of mine raises cattle ... and ... is a classically trained painter ... like, "he has sold paintings to museums for display" sort of painter.

He's recently been commissioned by a very nice gallery here in Kansas City to produce 24 new, original paintings to show for two months at the end of 2017. This is a pretty big deal and, for the last few months, he has been struggling with how to approach this huge undertaking. This past weekend, when discussing this and his thoughts on it, our conversation turned to the way Monet would draw the viewers into his paintings through technique, but the subject matter was (typically) very simple and intimate (Water Lillies), and so with that train of thought, he commented to me, "I want to paint something I know" ... which, after he and I explored that a bit, then led to the epiphany he wants to paint bulls on HUGE canvases (like 8' long sorts of canvases, maybe some smaller, but these will all be big paintings).

To get warmed up, he started with an Afrikaner bull (see below) and is looking for pictures of spectacular specimens of bulls of any and all breeds (including composites, F1s, etc). He's not much of a message board guy, so please post them here, or email them to me (WCCC ... at ... WalnutCrestRanch ... dot ... com) and I'll forward them along.

If you want to commission him to paint your bull in this collection, that may be able to be arranged ... if you're interested, please include your inquiry with your email.

Afrikaner Bull (a close-up of the head only; actual painting is much larger and is the full animal):

Last edited by WalnutCrest on Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

ANAZAZI
GURU
GURU

Re: Pictures of Bulls Wanted

Postby ANAZAZI » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:17 pm

0 x
Brindles have more fun!

andybob
GURU
GURU

Postby andybob » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:21 pm

Look on the facebook site for Nguni cattle, some colourful cattle for any artist to paint; https://www.facebook.com/groups/11106565203/?fref=ts
0 x
http://sangacattle.webs.com/

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:51 pm

Interesting undertaking. Does he have a ranching/farming background? Just curious about what drew him to the idea of using bulls. (Can we sneak in one of the infamous Craigslist bulls just for fun? ;-)
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:47 am

boondocks wrote:Interesting undertaking. Does he have a ranching/farming background? Just curious about what drew him to the idea of using bulls. (Can we sneak in one of the infamous Craigslist bulls just for fun? ;-)

Yes, he raises cattle. His is an interesting business of using horned cattle to cleanup run down farms.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:24 am

That painting is amazing! I would love to see the completed collection. Does he have a website?
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:18 am

TCRanch wrote:That painting is amazing! I would love to see the completed collection. Does he have a website?

No website...but there may be something by the time the show goes up in two years.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:20 pm

Bump.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:35 pm

Okay, I'll bite. Here's an action shot of Bob (may need a little photoshop touch-up :))
0 x

Homestead Herefords
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Homestead Herefords » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:44 pm

Here's a yearling I'm raising.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:09 pm

And the show is now open!

If you're anywhere near downtown KC between now and the end of October, please stop by and take a look (and buy something if you like it). There are some wonderful pieces!

"The biggest challenge as an artist is managing the constant conflict between creating and everything else in life. However, I believe it was my [fine] arts-training that allowed me to think outside the box with livestock. I allowed myself to begin to wonder, and in the act of doing so, I fully immersed myself in the process of mastering this new skill. Now, new notions and ideas have begun to form which I couldn't have conceived of otherwise. This culminated in the realization that I don't have to turn off being an artist to continue my work with livestock; rather, these two separate paths are now clearly merging into one."
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:58 am

Interesting.

Long explanations about why something is ART usually means it isn't. You can tell he studied at an art institute. Very inside the box.

He has some good stuff going on, but didn't develop it enough. Probably should have done fewer paintings. The old Dutch painters understood how to complete an image.

Thanks for sharing.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:59 am

JWBrahman wrote:Interesting.

Long explanations about why something is ART usually means it isn't. You can tell he studied at an art institute. Very inside the box.

He has some good stuff going on, but didn't develop it enough. Probably should have done fewer paintings. The old Dutch painters understood how to complete an image.

Thanks for sharing.

Probably the most outstanding backhanded complement I have ever read.
4 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:31 am

Probably just me, and I'm sorry.
But is it one of those kinda pictures where you have to stare at it a while from just the right angle to see the bull?
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:42 am

Lol, TT do an internet image search for the Texas painter John Biggers. Now those are paintings! Outside the box, too.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”