hope for recovery from leg paralysis

Let us know who you are.
shellyschlueter
Beginner
Beginner

hope for recovery from leg paralysis

Postby shellyschlueter » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:34 am

We have a skinny cow, who got down last week. After 4 days, my husband borrowed a bovijack and is now helping her stand 1-2 times per day. She is eating well and pooping well. But there is very little movement in her legs, and the upper part anyway. Can she recover, or is it too late? A neighbor suggested she ate something bad, and once it leaves her system, she'll be ok.
0 x

Isomade
GURU
GURU

Re: hope for recovery from leg paralysis

Postby Isomade » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:59 pm

shellyschlueter wrote:We have a skinny cow, who got down last week. After 4 days, my husband borrowed a bovijack and is now helping her stand 1-2 times per day. She is eating well and pooping well. But there is very little movement in her legs, and the upper part anyway. Can she recover, or is it too late? A neighbor suggested she ate something bad, and once it leaves her system, she'll be ok.

If they aren't standing within a week the chances are very slim. I have had them in just 4-5 days to stand up and walk off.
0 x
The quickest way to lose money in the cattle business is to do it the way grandpa did it.....and the quickest way to lose everything in the cattle business it to forget the way grandpa did it. (Dad)

MightyMike
Beginner
Beginner

Postby MightyMike » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:35 pm

shellyschlueter wrote:We have a skinny cow, who got down last week. After 4 days, my husband borrowed a bovijack and is now helping her stand 1-2 times per day. She is eating well and pooping well. But there is very little movement in her legs, and the upper part anyway. Can she recover, or is it too late? A neighbor suggested she ate something bad, and once it leaves her system, she'll be ok.

Hi, im also experiencing the same thing with a downer cow of Pinzgauer breed in South Africa. Can you kindly advise what happened to the cow. Was it able to recover and after how long? Incase it did survive, did it occur again?

Many Thanks
Michael Nthodi
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Please clarify what you mean by "upper part". Definitely need more information: Is this a possible spinal injury from being bred or pinched nerve from calving? What kind of forage is she on and have you changed pastures, no blue-green algae in the water, etc? Milk fever? Is she skinny because she's drawn down from nursing a calf? How old is she? Any other obvious foot/leg injuries? Is her temp normal? Any other symptoms? And most important, have you talked to your vet? Did he/she take a blood sample to rule out lymphoma? Sorry to bombard you with questions but skinny & eating/pooping well isn't much info.

And yes, the longer they're down, unless they're making marked improvement, chances are slim. I've had a down cow after a hard pull (pinched nerve and contracted tendons) and she eventually recovered - we gave her a hefty dose of Dex and Banamine or aspirin boluses daily. I've also had a down cow with a spinal injury that did not. The lift will definitely help and it's good that she still has an appetite.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”