Fly control on livestock

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Fly control on livestock

Postby elkwc » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:21 pm

Wasn't sure where to post this so decided to try here. Flies are the worst I've ever seen now. And over a wide area. I've talked to many livestock owners and have tried several products. We had good results with Saber the first time. Lasted 5-6 weeks. Then used Lintox, Atroban and Ultra Boss with limited results. Poured most with Saber again last weekend. I won't be back down until next Friday. The cattle will be checked Monday so will get a report then. Switched to the Vita Ferm feed with garlic and fly control in early summer but have had trouble with some groups eating it. So was wondering what others are using elsewhere and what results they are having.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Fly control on livestock

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:27 pm

I have treated with UltraBoss all summer. On occasions when there are a lot of house flies, I use a synergized 1% permethrin mix. I appy it with a sprayer. The UltraBoss absolutely eliminates hornfles but is not totally effective for common house flies.

In general, this approach has controlled flies where I am in Kentucky. In the past 3 weeks, horseflies have been awful. Nothing seems to deter them.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:48 pm

My fairly recent post (click link below). And updated to add the Cyonara is a huge disappointment because we're back to spraying a minimum of 2 weeks. Going back to Fly Ban next year.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=110312&hilit=how+long+does+your+fly+spray+last
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:59 pm

I used cydectin to worm last year and really haven't had much of a problem yet this year. My dung beetle population is booming. I bought this place about two years ago and have noticed that my problem area seems to be the close up areas that the previous owner used as the receiving area and everything that went through the corrals got long range.
0 x

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:37 pm

Used Long Range wormer in early Spring and have been feeding Purina Wind & Rain w/ Fly Control (Altosid) and have virtually no flies this season. Haven't even used any fly ear tags this year! We also rotate the herds every 10-14 days depending on conditions and feel that this is one of the best things you can do for fly control. I have heard that there are some herds in the area that are having one of the worst fly years ever. The good news is that Mother Nature will take care of the flies in the next 2-4 weeks.
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:35 pm

Used Long Range wormer in early Spring and have been feeding Purina Wind & Rain w/ Fly Control (Altosid) and have virtually no flies this season.

I great results with Purina W&R with fl control this year, but last year it was a big disappointment.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ClinchValley
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ClinchValley » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:37 am

greybeard wrote:
Used Long Range wormer in early Spring and have been feeding Purina Wind & Rain w/ Fly Control (Altosid) and have virtually no flies this season.

I great results with Purina W&R with fl control this year, but last year it was a big disappointment.

If our neighbors would use it too, i'd bet it might work.

Do you have neighboring cattle that also use F/C mineral?
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:23 pm

my nearest neighbors with livestock are a mile away. last I saw, he was still using those $7 hard red blocks
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Best fly control on livestock I have found is not to have livestock. It seems no matter what you try they overcome it and nothing stops them completely is my experience and I will say again this is the ABSOLUTE WORST year I can remember with flies.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

f1tiger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby f1tiger » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 pm

Have used sweet pro tubs for years with altosid , but this year they started using garlic as their fly control and I am happy with the results . They will jump on the garlic taste and consume more than normal for a couple of weeks and then level out at 1 1/2- 1 3/4 per day :( if you have young heifers you are retaining and feeding they will not consume the blocks as needed but my mature Brahman & Hereford have no flies at all . Now if your bull is running with them he will have flies as he is not consuming anything as he has other things on his mind
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:22 am

elkwc wrote:Wasn't sure where to post this so decided to try here. Flies are the worst I've ever seen now. And over a wide area. I've talked to many livestock owners and have tried several products. We had good results with Saber the first time. Lasted 5-6 weeks. Then used Lintox, Atroban and Ultra Boss with limited results. Poured most with Saber again last weekend. I won't be back down until next Friday. The cattle will be checked Monday so will get a report then. Switched to the Vita Ferm feed with garlic and fly control in early summer but have had trouble with some groups eating it. So was wondering what others are using elsewhere and what results they are having.

I tried the Heat tub with garlic based on everyone one claims on fly control.
I saw zero fly control.
My neighbor has cattle on 3 sides of me and uses fly tags and igr and has just as many flys.
I just keep a sprayer in ranger and spray them periodically
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:53 am

Cross-7 wrote:
elkwc wrote:Wasn't sure where to post this so decided to try here. Flies are the worst I've ever seen now. And over a wide area. I've talked to many livestock owners and have tried several products. We had good results with Saber the first time. Lasted 5-6 weeks. Then used Lintox, Atroban and Ultra Boss with limited results. Poured most with Saber again last weekend. I won't be back down until next Friday. The cattle will be checked Monday so will get a report then. Switched to the Vita Ferm feed with garlic and fly control in early summer but have had trouble with some groups eating it. So was wondering what others are using elsewhere and what results they are having.

I tried the Heat tub with garlic based on everyone one claims on fly control.
I saw zero fly control.
My neighbor has cattle on 3 sides of me and uses fly tags and igr and has just as many flys.
I just keep a sprayer in ranger and spray them periodically

It's much more effective against vampires.
2 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:05 pm

I have HEARD that sulfur blocks are good for fly control, but can't attest to it myself
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

TexFarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby TexFarmer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Came here looking for advise as files are horrible on my cows right now. Flies covering the entire neck/chuck area and under bellies. Was able to spray the docile cows with some permethrin from a hand pump sprayer and that seemed to knock them down, but the skiddish cows that wouldn't come near are still covered in flies. All my cows have XP-820 Insecticide tags from early summer and it's not helping.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:40 pm

TexFarmer wrote:Came here looking for advise as files are horrible on my cows right now. Flies covering the entire neck/chuck area and under bellies. Was able to spray the docile cows with some permethrin from a hand pump sprayer and that seemed to knock them down, but the skiddish cows that wouldn't come near are still covered in flies. All my cows have XP-820 Insecticide tags from early summer and it's not helping.

Tex about all you can do is hope to get some of them. Nothing is going to kill them all. If you have a corral might pen them and see if you can come up with a larger more powerful sprayer and give them a good soaking bath with some good fly spray. That will kill most of what they have now but won't last long. IGR mineral helps as well as the insecticide tags you're already using.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”