Rescueing from a kill pen

All about horses.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:15 pm

I see information here, there, and yonder about rescuing a particular horse from a kill pen. There will be videos, and pictures of the horse being handled and rode. Then there is a $900 adoption fee, $75 farrier service, and then list goes on and on. Are these scams?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Rescueing from a kill pen

Postby Nesikep » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:24 pm

I don't know if they're scams, but I'd still be careful about buying a horse from the kill pen... just like a cow, they're probably there for a reason.

a horse as yard art is cheap and easy to find.. a *good* horse will always be expensive, and probably not so easy to find.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:31 pm

x2

If it's an ad from an individual, he got the horse bought cheaper than what he's gonna make cutting his head off. Trying to make more money off him. It may actually be a good horse that he got cheap because the owners were tired of looking at him. Who knows.
I saw several good "trailriding" horses go to the killers in the late eighties. Guys would go out and drive around and just stop and ask people about the horses in their pasture. Of course they would come up with, " I'm looking for a good horse for my daughter, wife, etc" , "going to a good home" to start the conversation with.

I also saw some go that should've went long before they did.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:32 pm

I guess some could be scams, but there's people around here actually rescuing and making lots of money doing it.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:47 am

Seen an add the other a man had a mule for sale that he had rescued from the kill pen. Said it was a nice mule till you went to get on it then it went crazy. I told him to take it back to the kill pen very few, if any good mules end up in a kill pen, some good horses may but I think more of them has problems than not. He was trying to get a 1000.00 for the outlaw mule.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:05 pm

Wonder what that mule would do under harness?
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:47 pm

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. Seems like if you buy a horse from them, that puts more money in their pocket to buy more horses to send to Mexico. The whole thing seems odd to me. You might have to have Facebook to see this. Idk
https://www.facebook.com/bastroplouisia ... n/?fref=ts
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:02 pm

My wife is a horse vet, she has dealed with several rescue groups. I think most have good intentions. But by numbers is you save a horse with 200 bucks and find it a home for 1000. Well seems pretty profitable.
1 x

delmetxhg
Beginner
Beginner

Postby delmetxhg » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:09 am

You could see this coming from a mile away. Something hap to be wrong cause horse would not do anything more than jog in the mornings for like 2 weeks.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:22 am

Looks like somebody just trying to make a living. They probably buy from a buyer and try to peddle them. If the don't sell they ship for slaughter. The sad story may help sell them like those SPCA commercials on TV.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:36 am

I knew of a lady that did this. She would get a list of the horses that were in decent shape and broke that showed up at the shipping yard every week. The shipping yard is owned by one of the larger kill buyers in the US and if they aren't sold within a week the horses go to Mexico. I believe they were priced $25-$50 over what they were worth to kill and the kill buyer made the money on them to make it worth his time. The lady that ran the program did it for nothing in her spare time.
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:13 pm

There's a guy up our way who runs a "rescue pen". I'm sure he's making money, but there are also some dang good horses that go through at no fault of their own. Prices are above kill, but still can be a really good deal on the right animal. Just remember, buyer beware. Someone with plenty of horse handling experience and common sense should have no problem picking out and working with one. Recently, a grey mare with some killer breeding went thru the local pen, but I thought about it too long, and when I made up my mind, this very pretty, prime age, dead broke mare with the same breeding as Jill Moody's Dolly, was already bought. :x
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Sun May 21, 2017 6:09 pm

I wouldn't doubt there are some good horses in kill pens. I and the barn I'm with have gotten many from kill pens that have turned out to be phenomenal horses. Some of the best ones I have met have been either from auction or kill pens. Some good ones just fall through the cracks.
0 x
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Ghandi

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Sun May 21, 2017 6:17 pm

It is now that I realize how old this topic is...
0 x
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Ghandi

Baymule
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Baymule » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:18 pm

I have a 8 year old gelding from a kill pen. Chestnut, chrome on all 4 legs, blaze, 13 hands, fantastic kid horse. Friendly, follow you anywhere, great little horse. He was skinny, but roly-poly now, easy keeper. Cost $800 and worth every penny.

There are some real nice horses that go to slaughter that don't deserve to be there. I support horse slaughter because some horses are just crazy or dangerous, sick, crippled or whatever. But some just don't belong there.
0 x

Return to “Horse Talk!”