Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby BK9954 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:16 pm

ricebeltrancher wrote:My two cents, I think that you could do a lot worse for $1600. For where you are with your herd, and for what you're trying to do, I think you did really good. No, he's not "perfect", but he's a really good step in the right direction and KUDOS to you for going out and trying to do the best you could do with what you had to work with. You're only a little over an hour away from us, and so I know what kind of bulls a lot of people put out in their pastures in this part of Texas. Whatever's cheap, and it's usually not black. Good luck with him! I think he's a good start.

Thank you. I appreciate that.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:35 pm
Location: south/east MN

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby frieghttrain » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:05 am

ricebeltrancher wrote:My two cents, I think that you could do a lot worse for $1600. For where you are with your herd, and for what you're trying to do, I think you did really good. No, he's not "perfect", but he's a really good step in the right direction and KUDOS to you for going out and trying to do the best you could do with what you had to work with. You're only a little over an hour away from us, and so I know what kind of bulls a lot of people put out in their pastures in this part of Texas. Whatever's cheap, and it's usually not black. Good luck with him! I think he's a good start.

Well said :clap: (BK9954) Next time around buy a bull from Ricebeltrancher they have some great Brangus.
0 x

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby BK9954 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:53 am

Updating an old post. Got the first 2 calves of the year from that brangus bull. The positives, both were very low birthweight and have plenty of ear. The negative is the steer got his sires hind end, it's too early to see the heifer, and they both came out brown, but hopefully they shed darker. The motley face out of a tigerstripe cow, the small heifer out of a commercial brangus cross cow. The brangus bull got REALLY aggressive with me so he went to the sale and I replaced him with this registered hereford. Really couldn't afford him but in life you pay for what you get. This bull should add some back the the next set of calves
Image

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by BK9954 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13895
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:02 am

BK9954 wrote:I,am still beefing him of with groceries
you might be fattening him, but the beef part comes from the parents...he doesn't look the role of a moma maker.
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby BK9954 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:10 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:
BK9954 wrote:I,am still beefing him of with groceries
you might be fattening him, but the beef part comes from the parents...he doesn't look the role of a moma maker.

In the update above the brangus went to the sale, he chased me twice. I should have sold him after the first. All of his offspring will be going to market in the spring.
1 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4981
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:19 am

Where is that Hereford bull from?
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby BK9954 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:05 pm

From a breeder called "Lee Herefords" here in Tx. He has genetics all the way from Canada and Australia, AI'S and shares interest in some premium bulls. His herd was so perfect, all of his cows had perfect udders and eyes, even the 12 year olds. He knows his stuff and knows a lot of breeders. This bull was probably low cost as registered guys might say but for my cost he was high. His grandmother and mother were good looking.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby BK9954 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:17 pm

EPD'S and genetics. Doesn't mean a "whole" lot(with the low Acc) until I start getting his calves, then I will see how the investment pays off. It's better then taking a shot in the dark on a commercial. From what I can tell he is out of the Domino/Perfect Timing bloodline by researching his bloodline. His name is "night rider" but I call him Duke. Night rider would seem appropriate for a black bull, like the car was.
Image

Image
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4981
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:23 pm

I think "night rider" is like you won't see him breed during the day...:)
1 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby BK9954 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:34 pm

Kingfisher wrote:I think "night rider" is like you won't see him breed during the day...:)

Yeah the name doesn't fit him. He has bred the tigerstripe already in the middle of the Texas heat. He has been a very gentle bull with me and my kids, it's one of the things I likes about him.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13895
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:39 pm

BK9954 wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:
BK9954 wrote:I,am still beefing him of with groceries
you might be fattening him, but the beef part comes from the parents...he doesn't look the role of a moma maker.

In the update above the brangus went to the sale, he chased me twice. I should have sold him after the first. All of his offspring will be going to market in the spring.

Sorry bout the post then...just scanned over it..and was talking when I should have been listening..good luck with the new one...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6370
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:16 pm

Rafter S wrote:
ricebeltrancher wrote:My two cents, I think that you could do a lot worse for $1600. For where you are with your herd, and for what you're trying to do, I think you did really good. No, he's not "perfect", but he's a really good step in the right direction and KUDOS to you for going out and trying to do the best you could do with what you had to work with. You're only a little over an hour away from us, and so I know what kind of bulls a lot of people put out in their pastures in this part of Texas. Whatever's cheap, and it's usually not black. Good luck with him! I think he's a good start.


Very well said.


I agree.... and the proof is in the pudding. When you see his calves you will know your answer.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: NW OK

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby Allenw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:21 pm

BK9954 wrote:From a breeder called "Lee Herefords" here in Tx. He has genetics all the way from Canada and Australia, AI'S and shares interest in some premium bulls. His herd was so perfect, all of his cows had perfect udders and eyes, even the 12 year olds. He knows his stuff and knows a lot of breeders. This bull was probably low cost as registered guys might say but for my cost he was high. His grandmother and mother were good looking.


It's rough trying to justify a good bull to move you forward when you only have a few cows and will need another bull in a couple of years if your keeping heifers.
0 x

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby BK9954 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:54 pm

Allenw wrote:
BK9954 wrote:From a breeder called "Lee Herefords" here in Tx. He has genetics all the way from Canada and Australia, AI'S and shares interest in some premium bulls. His herd was so perfect, all of his cows had perfect udders and eyes, even the 12 year olds. He knows his stuff and knows a lot of breeders. This bull was probably low cost as registered guys might say but for my cost he was high. His grandmother and mother were good looking.


It's rough trying to justify a good bull to move you forward when you only have a few cows and will need another bull in a couple of years if your keeping heifers.

He is not quite 2 years old and I won't retain any of his heifers. I am pretty much running him on black cows now and that's really what I prefer him on...... but the W-4 ranch is having a sale next month, haven't looked at the catalog yet. All the baldies he produces will be sold. Heifers take too long to blossom so I don't plan on keeping or buyin anymore. I have matured 3 sets if heifers in a seperate pasture for 3 years, I have enough. Just mature cows are being added from here on out. One year of his calves will pay for the difference in $1400 that I paid. I can have either good calves or bad, but you pay for what you get.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests