A couple of chromed up Simmental heifers to pick on.

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

A couple of chromed up Simmental heifers to pick on.

Postby jd720 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:14 pm

Here`s a couple of our fall calves to pick on. The first one is a HPF Optimizer X Shorthorn Plus cow. The second one is a TWCC Trendsetter out of a Star Power X Shorthorn Plus cow. The Star Power cow is a half sister to the Optimizer heifer. The third picture is the Optimizer calf with her momma. I have one more Optimizer coming this fall and I`m sure I will use him again.

0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: A couple of chromed up Simmental heifers to pick on.

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:22 pm

I had a HPF Optimizer bull calf born this week. I got 3 more coming soon. I like the top one. They all look nice.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:10 am

Cute lil boogers. I like the chrome.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:30 am

Purty as a picture.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:07 am

I Like Them! Cute little gals.
0 x

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Franke » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:18 pm

The way people on here like Optimizer I might have to try him next year. I do wish he was a purebred though.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:28 pm

Franke wrote:The way people on here like Optimizer I might have to try him next year. I do wish he was a purebred though.

Agree. 3/4 blood.

I had an Ironhide born Thursday. 86 pounds. 273 days post AI. Bull Calf, hit the ground, was up nursing before he was dry behind the ears. Guy is on steroids!!! Geared for hyper drive. Built like a bulldozer.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Nice calves, with Simmental and Shorthorn breeding, they should make for some fine cows.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:49 pm

Flashy!!!
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:22 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Franke wrote:The way people on here like Optimizer I might have to try him next year. I do wish he was a purebred though.

Agree. 3/4 blood.

I had an Ironhide born Thursday. 86 pounds. 273 days post AI. Bull Calf, hit the ground, was up nursing before he was dry behind the ears. Guy is on steroids!!! Geared for hyper drive. Built like a bulldozer.

10 days early and 86 lbs, he'd of been a 100+ lbs full term. That's the kind of bull that can cause heifers some real problems.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:40 am

TG, what about a 120 lb'er that's gestated 295 days? I get lots of them.. works out to about the same, or less since it's not a linear rate of gain
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:03 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Agree. 3/4 blood.

10 days early and 86 lbs, he'd of been a 100+ lbs full term. That's the kind of bull that can cause heifers some real problems.

You got your calculation right. But my calves average 87 pounds.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Agree. 3/4 blood.

You got your calculation right. But my calves average 87 pounds.

Bet I can cut your adverage BW down by a 10 lbs in one year, that's a easy one. You can sell a 86 lb BW bull here... barely, but you'd be hard pressed to sell a bull with a birth weight of a 100+lbs.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Nesikep wrote:TG, what about a 120 lb'er that's gestated 295 days? I get lots of them.. works out to about the same, or less since it's not a linear rate of gain

Nesikep, your location and goals are different than mine. If I had a cow that had a 120 lb calf she'd be culled ASAP. You kind of breed towards the goal of having large calves. We breed for low birth weight by your standards, 70 to 75 pounds is ideal for cows and 60 to 65 on heifers. I know it sounds weird to some of y'all, but I don't believe in babysitting my cattle. We were gone for 9 days and came home to 3 beautiful new calves, the cows were only doing what their expected to do, deliver a live calf every year. I'm not living my life around my cows, so birth weight is very important to me as a management tool.
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:55 pm

I don't breed for it, it just happens, I've always selected for lower birthweights.. It's well documented that northern cows will have heavier calves than southern cows, and certainly at least SOME of the difference can be attributed to that.. I don't think many southern cows go through sub zero temps for a couple months of the year.
I do like about a 75 lb calf on the heifers, after that, as long as they don't have trouble, I don't care what the birthweight is on terminal calves. Decent heifers here will usually do about 85 lbs without assistance, if they can't do that, I'm probably not going to keep calves from them or keep them around long
1 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Breeds Board”