School shop made culvert roller packer

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12795
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: School shop made culvert roller packer

Postby Nesikep » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:22 pm

callmefence wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
bball wrote:How much would you say you have invested in materials? I can't find a decent cultipacker around these parts for under a grand, and like you, just can't justify that expense for as infrequently as it would be used. Nice work.


I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. The last one I drug home from a fence row cost a whopping fifty bucks. Bearings were even good. I think there might even be one in the neighbors woods.....I'll go have a look.


If you find any like Aaron was talking about.. that make rocks disappear.
I'll take two.

Ours is about a 40" diameter, and is 3/4" wall.. just the pipe is a ton, plus end caps (1/2" plate), plus shaft, frame, and then it can hold about 500 gal of water too.. it'll push a 6" rock right down, and if it fails, it'll just crush it in most cases.. I keep meaning to get a picture of it!
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12795
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: School shop made culvert roller packer

Postby Nesikep » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:36 am

Finally got a picture of ours

Image
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4260
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: School shop made culvert roller packer

Postby Aaron » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Nesikep wrote:Finally got a picture of ours

Image


Lots that size around here and longer. Can be a challenge getting them down roads. Last one I bid on was $2800 and I was out. Probably should have kept going as it had oak wood block bearings.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12795
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: School shop made culvert roller packer

Postby Nesikep » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:16 pm

That "dinky" looking little shaft through it.. yeah, that's a 2 1/2" shaft on pillow blocks. That will crush the rock that refuses to get pressed down,
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

mayesfarm
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:24 pm

Re: School shop made culvert roller packer

Postby mayesfarm » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:43 pm

Have any of you ever seen the packers that use tires instead of cast wheels ? There are lots of pictures of them in Australia and all over the UK . I have wanted to build one for a while but can't decide what the tires ride on.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3649
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: School shop made culvert roller packer

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:21 am

I have one that I built and tow it behind my little seeder. I used 2 old rims on each end with 4x50mm pipe going across from side to side welded onto one rim and the other rim has 40mm pipe welded to it so it telescopes into the 50mm pipe and also a couple of lengths of threaded rod through 2 of the pipes to hold it all together. Needless to say the tires are threaded over the pipe and there are stub axles on each end for the whole lot to revolve on the tow frame. By having it this way there is a lot of movement of the pipe within the tire so each individual tire can move up and down independent of the next tire and so follow any irregularity of the ground. Sounds complicated but it is really simple, I have used it regularly over about 12 years and it has held together well. I don't know how other people make them I did not have one to copy and just made it up as I went but am happy how it turned out. I just made mine out of car tires and it works well for firming down the seed after planting, I know someone who used heavier truck tires.

If I think of it I'll get some photos tomorrow, I'll be hooking it up behind the seeder to plant some cowpea, it is not pretty but does the job.

Ken
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3649
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: School shop made culvert roller packer

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:17 am

Here are the photos I promised. On looking at it the pipe size seems to be 40mm and 32mm.


Image

Image

Image

Ken
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4302
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: School shop made culvert roller packer

Postby callmefence » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:40 am

Aaron wrote:
Nesikep wrote:Finally got a picture of ours

Image


Lots that size around here and longer. Can be a challenge getting them down roads. Last one I bid on was $2800 and I was out. Probably should have kept going as it had oak wood block bearings.


What thickness of steel y'all think to make one off these. I've got several old diesel 500 gallon tanks. But there only 12 to 14 gauge . Im worried I'll end up with a hole in it.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4260
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: School shop made culvert roller packer

Postby Aaron » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:53 am

callmefence wrote:
Aaron wrote:
Nesikep wrote:Finally got a picture of ours

Image


Lots that size around here and longer. Can be a challenge getting them down roads. Last one I bid on was $2800 and I was out. Probably should have kept going as it had oak wood block bearings.


What thickness of steel y'all think to make one off these. I've got several old diesel 500 gallon tanks. But there only 12 to 14 gauge . Im worried I'll end up with a hole in it.


Nothing less than 5/8", preferably 3/4". Nothing less because a big rock can put a dent in a loaded 1/2" drum. If you have zero rock, you can make them pretty light wall, provided they are loaded with water or concrete.
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

User avatar
Silver
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 535
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC

Re: School shop made culvert roller packer

Postby Silver » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Looks like the class did a nice job on the project, glad it's working for you. My roller is like Nesikep's for the same reasons he mentioned.
My concern for your roller is I know how those culverts like to come apart at the seams after they have been handled a lot. Hopefully is stays together for you.
0 x

mayesfarm
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:24 pm

Re: School shop made culvert roller packer

Postby mayesfarm » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:18 pm

thanks for the pix wbv58
0 x


Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests