Big or small dogs?

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Re: Big or small dogs?

Postby JWBrahman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:11 pm

BRYANT wrote:I like an Austrian shepherd for kids I also have a Mountain Cur that is very smart and gets along great with my Grandson. Something to think about is there is certain dogs that the Insurance co. are refusing to cover you if you own them. I have a list of 14 dogs that I will not allow any of my tenants to own, due to ins. company. I was also told the other day all Ins. Co. will be doing the same within a few months.

The 14 most commonly banned dog breeds.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ca ... -companies
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Currently have an 11 yr old male Border Collie, and a 10 month old female Blue Heeler. I like most dogs, although I will admit I like small dogs a lot better when they belong to somebody else. Like someone else already commented with coyotes being so thick around here little dogs wouldn't last running loose very long. I reckon I prefer medium sized stock dogs the best. Did have some Great Pyrenees for a while, good dogs, but like to roam.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:17 am

Ky hills wrote:Currently have an 11 yr old male Border Collie, and a 10 month old female Blue Heeler. I like most dogs, although I will admit I like small dogs a lot better when they belong to somebody else. Like someone else already commented with coyotes being so thick around here little dogs wouldn't last running loose very long. I reckon I prefer medium sized stock dogs the best. Did have some Great Pyrenees for a while, good dogs, but like to roam.

This confuses the heck out of me...we are over run with coyotes here and are constantly working on them. I have a 15 lb beagle that has run of the farm. There are lots of folks around with smaller dogs that are out and about. The dogs are all known and nobody has an issue with them. But not once have I heard of a coyote incident with a dog in these parts....not once. Heck these coyotes are interbred with the feral dogs here and go 60-70 lbs...so they are big. I did have a Plott coon dog one time (about 38 lbs) bump into some coyotes hunting, but she didn't have a problem. It is just not something you see in these parts...

Tim
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:46 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:
Ky hills wrote:Currently have an 11 yr old male Border Collie, and a 10 month old female Blue Heeler. I like most dogs, although I will admit I like small dogs a lot better when they belong to somebody else. Like someone else already commented with coyotes being so thick around here little dogs wouldn't last running loose very long. I reckon I prefer medium sized stock dogs the best. Did have some Great Pyrenees for a while, good dogs, but like to roam.

This confuses the heck out of me...we are over run with coyotes here and are constantly working on them. I have a 15 lb beagle that has run of the farm. There are lots of folks around with smaller dogs that are out and about. The dogs are all known and nobody has an issue with them. But not once have I heard of a coyote incident with a dog in these parts....not once. Heck these coyotes are interbred with the feral dogs here and go 60-70 lbs...so they are big. I did have a Plott coon dog one time (about 38 lbs) bump into some coyotes hunting, but she didn't have a problem. It is just not something you see in these parts...

Tim

I know, it doesn't seem to have rhyme or reason. There are some coyote/dog crosses around here too. Few years ago someone in the county had a Border Collie to be bred by a coyote they kept one of the pups. I reckon maybe some of them are territorial, may account for some of the dog killing. We have always had some foxes around and over the last few years they have moved in closer to the house and barns. One night last winter heard a fox ( strangest sound I have heard ) later heard coyotes, next morning saw a hind leg and the tail of a fox. Had 2 little Shetland Sheepdog crosses years ago, was out getting a coon out of the chicken house, they ran down the hill and one yelped and they must have flew back to me. Shined a spotlight down and saw two sets of coyote eyes.
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:53 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:

Tim

Tim,
You can see one that's been attacked by Coyotes at my vet just about year round. Or do an internet search for coyotes attacking dogs in urban areas. Happens everyday.

Coy dogs are usually the result of a solitary female breeding with a domestic dog.

We have plenty of those, too. Saw a Coyote female with a group of pups that had white markings last winter.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:21 am

Two pit cross dogs killed Oscar our weenie dog awhile back. He thought he could whip anything, and would've if the dogs came in the yard. Without any backup he was done for, just like some people.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:42 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Two pit cross dogs killed Oscar our weenie dog awhile back. He thought he could whip anything, and would've if the dogs came in the yard. Without any backup he was done for, just like some people.

Sorry to hear about Oscar! That ain't right!

Tim
0 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:43 am

JWBrahman wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:

Tim

Tim,
You can see one that's been attacked by Coyotes at my vet just about year round. Or do an internet search for coyotes attacking dogs in urban areas. Happens everyday.

Coy dogs are usually the result of a solitary female breeding with a domestic dog.

We have plenty of those, too. Saw a Coyote female with a group of pups that had white markings last winter.

JW...now you have me worried lol. I wonder why the difference in behavior?

Tim
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”