BK9954 or other pig producers

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

BK9954 or other pig producers

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:39 am

What are hogs bringing in your area either private sale or at the barn?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Re: BK9954 or other pig producers

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:20 am

0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:25 am

RanchMan90 wrote:https://texaspork.org/market-report/

Thanks.. Yall stop selling pigs in April ?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:28 am

14 Hog Low $ 38.00 High $ 64.00 Avg $ 55.29

that's what one of our barns did they didn't sell any at the one I usually go too to give updated info. private sale is normally 1.00 per lb and if they hire you to dress it about 50-75 more
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:33 pm

$15-25 for weaners
$40-50 for feeders
$.55-.68 for live hogs
$.67 .75" back fat 210# carcass
$175 240# pink breeding gilts
$150 240# marked breeding gilts
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:40 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:https://texaspork.org/market-report/

Thanks.. Yall stop selling pigs in April ?

That's the latest report I could find find. Prices still similar. I've put them on the back burner til I can find a niche market for them.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Nice... I truly do not want to keep hogs all year round but may have an opportunity to raise them for a local BBQ restaurant and would need too. Main problem I am facing is not just the quantity but the pricing they want to pay. I am trying to figure pricing and see if I can come to a middle ground. I have no issues selling the ones I buy and raise for private sales. I do not want the additional work to keep them year round and if I do that it has to be worth my while.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Last ones I bought were averaging in the high .50's. I have am trying to get into meat market here, a lot of Mexicans buy half hogs, not whole. I just need to sell the other half. I need to beat the meat market price. Lots of taco trucks and taqeria's. If I don't do private sales and only sell at the auction it's pennies on the dollar after fuel and commissions.
1 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:28 pm

If I hadn't torn the old barn down that had the pens in I'd be raising Berkshires and selling to the yuppy restaurants in the city. You already know they'll pay thru the nose for all natural tagged stuff. Friend does it and swears it pays really well.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 pm

local sale barn prices
60 lb feeder pigs $39 - $47.50 hd
butcher hogs 220-250 lbs 45-50 cents lb (but usually only a few butcher hogs sell each week)
0 x

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:22 pm

Good marketing goes a long ways, http://sugarmtnfarm.com/products/pork/, this guy is a mod over on homesteading today. What ever you do don't sell to them at commodity prices, your a small farmer, selling a locally produced product, raised in a human way.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:11 pm

slick4591 wrote:If I hadn't torn the old barn down that had the pens in I'd be raising Berkshires and selling to the yuppy restaurants in the city. You already know they'll pay thru the nose for all natural tagged stuff. Friend does it and swears it pays really well.

They will pay

BK9954 wrote:Last ones I bought were averaging in the high .50's. I have am trying to get into meat market here, a lot of Mexicans buy half hogs, not whole. I just need to sell the other half. I need to beat the meat market price. Lots of taco trucks and taqeria's. If I don't do private sales and only sell at the auction it's pennies on the dollar after fuel and commissions.

Bk we talked before about the private sales I do where they can pick their own hog and process it themselves or I deliver to the butcher. I do not do halves especially on a hog they are not that huge like a beef and I don't want to have to store or find an additional person to take the half. I escape alot of rules by selling the live animal then if they need help processing them they can pay me as a person to help them clean THEIR pig. I rarely do that because most people process their own I provide scald tanks and places to hang and a table for cutting their meat on.
1 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:12 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
slick4591 wrote:If I hadn't torn the old barn down that had the pens in I'd be raising Berkshires and selling to the yuppy restaurants in the city. You already know they'll pay thru the nose for all natural tagged stuff. Friend does it and swears it pays really well.

They will pay

BK9954 wrote:Last ones I bought were averaging in the high .50's. I have am trying to get into meat market here, a lot of Mexicans buy half hogs, not whole. I just need to sell the other half. I need to beat the meat market price. Lots of taco trucks and taqeria's. If I don't do private sales and only sell at the auction it's pennies on the dollar after fuel and commissions.

Bk we talked before about the private sales I do where they can pick their own hog and process it themselves or I deliver to the butcher. I do not do halves especially on a hog they are not that huge like a beef and I don't want to have to store or find an additional person to take the half. I escape alot of rules by selling the live animal then if they need help processing them they can pay me as a person to help them clean THEIR pig. I rarely do that because most people process their own I provide scald tanks and places to hang and a table for cutting their meat on.

When you sell, what are the weights on the hogs, at that point?
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:34 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

They will pay

I will sell 50#lbs up to a 700lb boars... If the question was for me. If not I apologize
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:57 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:

I will sell 50#lbs up to a 700lb boars... If the question was for me. If not I apologize

Yes, the question was for you. :) How many of your 'customers', who want a killing hog, want 50 lb and 700 lb?

In the past, most people I sold to, wanted 350 to 400 lb. A few preferred 200 to 250 lb. I had a few buy some in the 60 to 80 lb range, for pig roasts, the preference being 70 lb.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”