Trimmer / Lt. brushcutter

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Trimmer / Lt. brushcutter

Postby JW IN VA » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Want to get a new trimmer since mine no longer wish to run.Would like to have capibility to put a blade attachment on for cutting thick weeds,vines,etc under electric fences and to cut multiflora and small cedars or russian olive where I can't bush hog(< 1").
I have good Stihl and Husq. dealers.Also have Echo /Shindaiwa dealer and a RedMaxx dealer but don't know how well they service them or if it's a sideline from there other repair buisnesses.
Have considered FS 91 Stihl and 525 Husqvarna.The Stihl has a dedicated woody plant blade available but is still their 4 stroke.The Husq is a strato 2 cycle but not dedicated brush blade,only grass/weed.
Advice welcome
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Trimmer / Lt. brushcutter

Postby Atimm693 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Stihl FS94R is a two stroke. Great power to weight, better than the 4 mix, and it's a commercial model so you can get it with bike handles and a brush blade.

The Stihl 4 mix is a great engine though. I've had an FS90R for 8 years and it still works great.

I like the saw blades a lot more than the 3 tooth brush knife. Mine will saw a 3" tree, has a 22 tooth blade that you can sharpen with a round file.

The Stihl Kombi system makes switching from blade to string easier. You can put a blade on any solid shaft Stihl though, a dealer can set you up with the hardware. It's less than 20 bucks IIRC. I wouldn't recommend doing it on a trimmer without bike handles though.

Don't know much about the other brands. The Stihl is a top quality product, most of the "pros" in this area use them.
1 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:43 pm

Stihl are only sold through servicing dealers. The others any one can sell.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:59 pm

We have an FS106, it's 25 years old now, hasn't needed much for service. I have a 12" (or 14"?) table saw blade on it for woody plants, it'll take down up to 2", that includes sawing through fence posts, irrigation pipe, etc if you're not careful.
Anything with a 1" mounting hole can be mounted on it.. I didn't like the 3 blade brushcutter at all, tangles with grass too easily, the 4 blade is a little better.
1 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:40 pm

This is a tool we use several times a week.
I've gone to echo. Stihl makes a better machine
But knuckleheads break stuff no matter the price and echo is cheaper and the box stores are looser with replacement warranty.

The biggest tip I can give is to use a framing Skil saw blade. Depending on your arbor you may have to knock out the insert in the blade or make a bushing. But once you get it worked out it will out cut any brush cutter blade made.
And you can bulk buy cheap framing blades for a few bucks a piece.
1 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:39 pm

The table saw blade I mentioned earlier is 80 tooth, get that thing buzzed up and there's no stopping it
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Had a shindaiwa once, found it on the side of the road...think it fell of a lawn care service truck... Had several cutters in the past.. But it was the best one I ever owned...bout decided now though,to just stay with the cheaper one.... 100 percent gas and good oil mix is the life of one...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

northcreek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby northcreek » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Echo has my business on any small engine item. I have had Stihl, Husky, and Echo and I feel I get an easier starting more reliable machine with Echo.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”