Couple sale barn questions...

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Couple sale barn questions...

Postby Dogs and Cows » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:19 am

I look at the sale reports for the barns in my area. I have a couple questions on some of the categories. For instance...under feeder steers they have them broken down into Medium and Large 1-2; Medium 2; Medium 3: Small 3...what is this referencing...frame size? Because the weights of the cattle overlap in each category. Next, on the Slaughter animals there broken out as Low Dressing or High Dressing...is this a function of the body condition score of the animal? It says slaughter cows Breaker 70-80% lean; Boner 80-85% lean?? For the Slaughter bulls it has Yield Grade 1-2? I need to get to sales to study in person...but with a full time job it gets difficult.

If you don't want to take the time to answer and can point me to a good publication to study I would be greatly appreciative!!

Thanks all!

Tim
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Couple sale barn questions...

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:49 am

Not sure if this helps in answering your questions but...

Buyers of slaughter cattle (bulls, cows, fed cattle) bid based on expected meat quality (grade) and lbs of meat (yield) in relation to expected waste (skeleton size, gut fill, udder size, body condition, age) ie: an old cow that is low in
body condition with a very big udder and being a bag of bones she will yield less meat.

Feeder cattle buyers use frame size in estimating expected finished sizes and weight.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”