Hello from Virginia

Let us know who you are.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Hello from Virginia

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:45 pm

cow/calf wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote::welcome: n I'm from Virginia.. I'd also suggest keeping some good drugs on hand.
What do you recommend? As each calf arrives they get an 8-way, Probios, and a tag. I keep penicillin, C&D anti-toxin, CORID and electrolytes.

If you are going to fool with bottle calves I cant tell you what to do but id keep baytril and nuflor on hand atleast. When they get sick you have very limited time before they are beyond recovery and if you can hit it strong early its a better chance they survive.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:07 pm

cow/calf wrote:
Rafter S wrote:
cow/calf wrote:We have cow/calf beef cattle, chickens, goats and honeybees and I am currently introducing bottle-baby Holstein soon-to-be steers. The first five went well but the 2nd four have been a challenge- scours, bloating, off feed, etc. I think they are on their way to being healthy but I may be on here looking for suggestions. Learning through your experiences and my mistakes will be enriching- I hope.

Welcome, and since you already mentioned suggestions on the bottle calves, mix a raw egg in their milk a couple times a week.

I understand the egg adds protein- what about egg-borne diseases?

What egg borne diseases?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

cow/calf
Beginner
Beginner

Postby cow/calf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:59 pm

I get them from another source- McDaniel's, lovely people.
0 x

cow/calf
Beginner
Beginner

Postby cow/calf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
cow/calf wrote:We must be neighbors because it is a small county- Quinque area

Stanardsville/Dyke area. :)

Do you get your Holsteins from Lamms or other source?

Waaaayyyyy back, when I was doing Holstein bottle babies, I was getting mine from Madison, Champ Hill (Fitzgerald). They have since sold out.

The McDaniels, wonderful people.
1 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”