What happened to my sweet potatoes?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
jltrent
GURU
GURU

What happened to my sweet potatoes?

Postby jltrent » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:18 pm

0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Re: What happened to my sweet potatoes?

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:11 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What in the world????!!!

I'd like to know the answer as well.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:15 pm

jltrent wrote:Image

Did you plant them from slips or plant cells? What variety ? I dug most of mine and got 9 bushels so far may did more tomorrow.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:30 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What in the world????!!!

I'd like to know the answer as well.

Most of the time its cause the roots were damaged to start with and sweet potatoes do best in light sandy soil. This could have been a case where they took the path of the least resistance and grew like that but I would be willing to bet its because of the root formation it had before planting. I buy my slips out of N.C.
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:37 pm

I bought 18 plants at Walmart in individual container coming in 6 packs. The name of them are Beauregards as my sister had planted them before and they did well. I got 3 four gallon buckets full from them, don't know if that is good or bad, but several of them sure was funny shaped.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:09 pm

jltrent wrote: The name of them are Beauregards as my sister had planted them before and they did well.

Sounds like some kind of racist name to me...Someone will be along shortly to set fire to your garden...
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:12 am

Beauregard Sweet Potato
★★★★★
★★★★★ 4.5 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.
4.5 15 Reviews This action will navigate to reviews.
Write a review . This action will open a modal dialog.
Light: Full sun
Vine type: Semi-running
Matures: 90 days
Plant spacing: 12 to 18 inches apart
Plant size: 3- to 6-foot vine
Developed at Louisiana State University in 1987, this variety may be the world’s most popular sweet potato. It is favored for high yields of uniform, reddish-purple potatoes with tasty, deep-orange flesh that keeps well in storage. It seems to have fewer problems with white grubs than some varieties and also resists cracking. Folks in Louisiana are proud of their sweet potatoes and after tasting this one, you’ll know why. Make sure that plants get plenty of sun to develop the maximum flavor and sweetness.

Resistant to fusarium wilt and soil rot, but not resistant to nematodes.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:22 am

jltrent wrote:I bought 18 plants at Walmart in individual container coming in 6 packs. The name of them are Beauregards as my sister had planted them before and they did well. I got 3 four gallon buckets full from them, don't know if that is good or bad, but several of them sure was funny shaped.

I have never had good luck with buying sweet potatoes in those packs I tried them but seems as the potatoes do not grow well problems there in those packs and if old meaning roots are jumbled and twisted so will the sweet potatoes. Sweet potato slips are the best way to go IMO they are grown and harvested at the right time. I plant bueregards as well as Puerto Rican reds.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:14 am

0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:08 am

jltrent wrote:Beauregard Sweet Potato
Folks in Louisiana are proud of their sweet potatoes and after tasting this one, you’ll know why. Make sure that plants get plenty of sun to develop the maximum flavor and sweetness.

Resistant to fusarium wilt and soil rot, but not resistant to nematodes.

I used to live in Opelousas, Louisiana ...claim to fame was the Yambilee..a festival to sweet potatoes. (they don't do it any more from what I've heard.)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Gardening”