Does anyone raise cushaws?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Does anyone raise cushaws?

Postby Ky hills » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 am

I almost always plant some cushaw seed. Ever since I can remember, my grandmother, and now my mother have fixed cushaw. They bake it and mix brown sugar, and I believe cream and butter. It makes for almost a desert itself. In recent years, my mother has also made cushaw pies. She makes her cushaw and pumpkin pies like a cream pie with meringue.
I have been surprised by the number of people that see the cushaws, both green striped and white and think they are gourds.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Does anyone raise cushaws?

Postby greybeard » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:48 am

I haven't seen a cushaw in years, but we always had them when I was a youngun. We used to roast the seeds, like they do pumpkin seeds.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Yep, Mom and Dad used to raise them. I never really enjoyed eating them.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:20 pm

I raise them on occasion. My neighbor uses them for "pumpkin pies" instead of pumpkins. Don't see them around much. They grow pretty easily here and get some good size. Like some of the winter squashes, like Hubbard; hardly anyone knows what to do with them or how to cook them.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”