Tx sales

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Tx sales

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 am

I've always wondered what the reasoning behind weighing cattle after they've sold in TX salebarns is? Is this done anywhere else?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Tx sales

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:53 am

I have never been in a salebarn in the east that,does it,that way. How do you know what weight your buying?
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:17 am

I've never been to a sale where they weigh cattle before their sold.

I think the reason is simple. If you're gonna buy cattle st auction you need to know what your doing.
In Texas we know what where doing... :hide:

Even buying cattle off the farm it's common to agree on a price per pound.
Then take em to the feed store and weigh them.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:43 am

callmefence wrote:I've never been to a sale where they weigh cattle before their sold.

I think the reason is simple. If you're gonna buy cattle st auction you need to know what your doing.

So do you go to the store and get a package of hamburger or steak and not know what it weighs until you check out?
0 x

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:50 am

kenny thomas wrote:I have never been in a salebarn in the east that,does it,that way. How do you know what weight your buying?

That is a reason rookies beware.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:04 am

kenny thomas wrote:
callmefence wrote:I've never been to a sale where they weigh cattle before their sold.

So do you go to the store and get a package of hamburger or steak and not know what it weighs until you check out?

Well honestly I seldom look. But I do respect your point. Although it is a poor comparison.

I will respond with the grocery store is not a arena for professionals. If you take a load scrap to the salvage yard.
They will tell you what they will pay per pound. And then weigh it.
If you take a steer to be butcher, the butcher will tell you the different price packages. All based on weight..to come later. A farmer harvest his corn usually at a price per bushel, usually under contract. with neither party knowing the end price. In fact where do you get a hard total up front except for a retail purchase.

A cattle buyer judges the animal and values it at a glance. Weighing the animal after speeds the sale and gives the professional the advantage. As it should be. He is there every day.

Replacement cattle are always sold by the head... because it's a retail sale.
0 x

David Crockett

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Ok, I am not a rookie but let's say I'm buying calves for someone and he or she only wants calves weighing from 360 to 395. Can the professional tell a calf that weighing 405 which is too big for the end buyer? I can guess within 20 lb high or low but when calves were 3.00 a lb that could have been 120.00 difference in price.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:49 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Ok, I am not a rookie but let's say I'm buying calves for someone and he or she only wants calves weighing from 360 to 395. Can the professional tell a calf that weighing 405 which is too big for the end buyer? I can guess within 20 lb high or low but when calves were 3.00 a lb that could have been 120.00 difference in price.

Kenny you must need to move to Texas to be a professional. As far as the original question in this area I see it both ways and if the ring is set right getting the weight first doesn't slow it down at all.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:54 pm

All here are either weighted just before they enter the ring or the ring is the scale as its selling.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:35 am

The ring is the scale at all that I know if around me. It pops up on the screen the seconds the animals walks onto it
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:36 am

kenny thomas wrote:Ok, I am not a rookie but let's say I'm buying calves for someone and he or she only wants calves weighing from 360 to 395. Can the professional tell a calf that weighing 405 which is too big for the end buyer? I can guess within 20 lb high or low but when calves were 3.00 a lb that could have been 120.00 difference in price.

I certainly know your not a rookie. Much more experienced than me. But I attend at least a sale a week. Often just ducking out from work admittedly.
Yes I think that would be considered the cost of doing business. The buyers often show with pots so I'm assuming they probably have somewhere to go with most of their errors. Their bidding on what the calf is worth, as much as what they have custom orders for.

The Texas comment was obviously a joke Jed.
0 x

David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:49 am

Craig Miller wrote:The ring is the scale at all that I know if around me. It pops up on the screen the seconds the animals walks onto it

You better be good with pounds on the hoof here cause it is real easy to get your feelings hurt.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:59 am

Heck I can call over to capital and they'll tell me over the phone what they will pay for a #1 400- 500..
And they weigh em and write the check
Right there. I can leave the house sell 30 calves and be back home in a hour with a check. Price will usually be about 10 percent under auction. But when you figure commission and shrink.......
0 x

David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:21 am

As long as both parties are happy that's all that matters. I'm to busy trying to figure out who I'm looking at in the pen, and then trying to look at feet and udders, I rarely look at the weight. I sure wish they'd run back to the farm cows through the ring a little slower. In cattle especially you can't beat a man at his game, you just bid and hope for the best.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:24 am

True Grit Farms wrote:As long as both parties are happy that's all that matters. I'm to busy trying to figure out who I'm looking at in the pen, and then trying to look at feet and udders, I rarely look at the weight. I sure wish they'd run back to the farm cows through the ring a little slower. In cattle especially you can't beat a man at his game, you just bid and hope for the best.

I always walk through the pens before the sale when I'm buying cows to get an idea of temperament and udders. Then write down tag numbers of any of interest.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Return to “Cattle Sales”