Tx sales

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Tx sales

Postby callmefence » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:30 am

True Grit Farms wrote:As long as both parties are happy that's all that matters. I'm to busy trying to figure out who I'm looking at in the pen, and then trying to look at feet and udders, I rarely look at the weight. I sure wish they'd run back to the farm cows through the ring a little slower. In cattle especially you can't beat a man at his game, you just bid and hope for the best.


I always take a walk back and look through the cows. I've also made a good relationship with the sale vet. For some odd reason he seems to like me.
Ive made him my personal vet. And pick up his lunch tab in the café when I can. I always walk back to the palp chute to say hi... priceless
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7949
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Tx sales

Postby 1982vett » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:36 am

kenny thomas wrote:Ok, I am not a rookie but let's say I'm buying calves for someone and he or she only wants calves weighing from 360 to 395. Can the professional tell a calf that weighing 405 which is too big for the end buyer? I can guess within 20 lb high or low but when calves were 3.00 a lb that could have been 120.00 difference in price.

maybe you need to expand....get bigger.....one local order buyer buys at 20 or so sales a week. Brings them back to his facilities to work and sort. they run them threw pretty fast here, usually the calf enters the ring just before the one before is sold so it can be on the scale and weighed before it's sold sometimes. Buyers make corrections all the time, as long as it's not often the auctioneer doesn't mind. They get it done without missing a beat. Just one question for you. If your buying in pens rather than singles and get an average pen weight that hits your window, what happens to the calves in that pen that weigh less than 360 or more than 395? Wouldnt you need a good eye to see that weight range?
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

BC
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2250
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:55 am
Location: Van Zandt County, TX

Re: Tx sales

Postby BC » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:39 am

kenny thomas wrote:I have never been in a salebarn in the east that, does it, that way. How do you know what weight your buying?

You get good at estimating weights or you find another occupation. :roll:

Kenny, here is a one minute clip I took with a flip phone at Emory when they were trying out a new auctioneer. The sound is not good, but count how many calves are sold in that one minute time. Calves are weighed after they are sold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBA_kHwf54c&feature=youtu.be
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Tx sales

Postby callmefence » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:53 am

BC wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I have never been in a salebarn in the east that, does it, that way. How do you know what weight your buying?

You get good at estimating weights or you find another occupation. :roll:

Kenny, here is a one minute clip I took with a flip phone at Emory when they were trying out a new auctioneer. The sound is not good, but count how many calves are sold in that one minute time. Calves are weighed after they are sold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBA_kHwf54c&feature=youtu.be


Good example.. there's gonna be folks saying that's to fast. But you can bet they don't have calves standing back there waiting to sell and shrinking.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1862
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Nw Alabama

Re: Tx sales

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:03 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:The ring is the scale at all that I know if around me. It pops up on the screen the seconds the animals walks onto it


You better be good with pounds on the hoof here cause it is real easy to get your feelings hurt.


It really wouldn't matter if they did it like y'all because most normal folks are there to buy cows not calves. Cows sold by the head. The calf buyers know well enough cwhat they are looming for.

True Grit Farms wrote:I sure wish they'd run back to the farm cows through the ring a little slower.


If somebody that is not a regular and not used to bidding is trying to buy one(like me) I've seen the auctioneer plum shut down and just stop calling so the person is aware of what price he is bidding and give them time to think before moving on.
1 x

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7034
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia

Re: Tx sales

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:28 am

BC wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I have never been in a salebarn in the east that, does it, that way. How do you know what weight your buying?

You get good at estimating weights or you find another occupation. :roll:

Kenny, here is a one minute clip I took with a flip phone at Emory when they were trying out a new auctioneer. The sound is not good, but count how many calves are sold in that one minute time. Calves are weighed after they are sold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBA_kHwf54c&feature=youtu.be

Well, I have been to a lot of markets and will have to admit I have never seen them sell that fast. But still don't understand why they wouldn't want to know the weight first.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7034
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia

Re: Tx sales

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:59 am

1982vett wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:Ok, I am not a rookie but let's say I'm buying calves for someone and he or she only wants calves weighing from 360 to 395. Can the professional tell a calf that weighing 405 which is too big for the end buyer? I can guess within 20 lb high or low but when calves were 3.00 a lb that could have been 120.00 difference in price.

maybe you need to expand....get bigger.....one local order buyer buys at 20 or so sales a week. Brings them back to his facilities to work and sort. they run them threw pretty fast here, usually the calf enters the ring just before the one before is sold so it can be on the scale and weighed before it's sold sometimes. Buyers make corrections all the time, as long as it's not often the auctioneer doesn't mind. They get it done without missing a beat. Just one question for you. If your buying in pens rather than singles and get an average pen weight that hits your window, what happens to the calves in that pen that weigh less than 360 or more than 395? Wouldnt you need a good eye to see that weight range?

I see your point and sometimes I notice a calf in a group that looks way too big or too small.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: NW OK

Re: Tx sales

Postby Allenw » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:08 am

BC wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I have never been in a salebarn in the east that, does it, that way. How do you know what weight your buying?

You get good at estimating weights or you find another occupation. :roll:

Kenny, here is a one minute clip I took with a flip phone at Emory when they were trying out a new auctioneer. The sound is not good, but count how many calves are sold in that one minute time. Calves are weighed after they are sold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBA_kHwf54c&feature=youtu.be


Can they sell more then one at a time, or the scales too small? :lol:
0 x

User avatar
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1862
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Nw Alabama

Re: Tx sales

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:10 am

BC wrote:
Kenny, here is a one minute clip I took with a flip phone at Emory when they were trying out a new auctioneer. The sound is not good, but count how many calves are sold in that one minute time. Calves are weighed after they are sold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBA_kHwf54c&feature=youtu.be


How many people are bidding one those? I don't see how it could be more than one or two
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Tx sales

Postby callmefence » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:35 am

Craig Miller wrote:
BC wrote:
Kenny, here is a one minute clip I took with a flip phone at Emory when they were trying out a new auctioneer. The sound is not good, but count how many calves are sold in that one minute time. Calves are weighed after they are sold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBA_kHwf54c&feature=youtu.be


How many people are bidding one those? I don't see how it could be more than one or two


Our sales at lampasas, gates ville and San Saba will always have around a half dozen full time buyers. And they buy everything from small calves to slaughter bulls and cows. From what I see it doesn't matter if they have a order or not. Nothing gets stolen.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21087
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Tx sales

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:40 am

callmefence wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:
BC wrote:
Kenny, here is a one minute clip I took with a flip phone at Emory when they were trying out a new auctioneer. The sound is not good, but count how many calves are sold in that one minute time. Calves are weighed after they are sold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBA_kHwf54c&feature=youtu.be


How many people are bidding one those? I don't see how it could be more than one or two


Our sales at lampasas, gates ville and San Saba will always have around a half dozen full time buyers. And they buy everything from small calves to slaughter bulls and cows. From what I see it doesn't matter if they have a order or not. Nothing gets stolen.



There are always 10 to 12 order buyers for everything.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

BC
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2250
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:55 am
Location: Van Zandt County, TX

Re: Tx sales

Postby BC » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Allenw wrote:
BC wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I have never been in a salebarn in the east that, does it, that way. How do you know what weight your buying?

You get good at estimating weights or you find another occupation. :roll:

Kenny, here is a one minute clip I took with a flip phone at Emory when they were trying out a new auctioneer. The sound is not good, but count how many calves are sold in that one minute time. Calves are weighed after they are sold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBA_kHwf54c&feature=youtu.be


Can they sell more then one at a time, or the scales too small? :lol:

They can sell more than one at a time, but most consignments are not large enough or uniform enough to deal up. There are lots of cattle and lots of owners. The average herd size around here is 30 head.
0 x

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8253
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Tx sales

Postby slick4591 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:11 pm

I find that most guys like me that hasn't listened to that auctioneer a lot of times have no idea where the money is anyway. If I stay at an auction it's strictly for entertainment purposes and not to buy. Although, I do like to see the little Mexican lady stop the auction when she realizes she was bidding on the lot instead of her pick of one.
1 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7034
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia

Re: Tx sales

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:07 pm

I could fall asleep listening to the chant of a good auctioneer. 5 days a week is the most I ever went. Thursday I couldnt get a sale close enough.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6141
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Klickitat County Washington

Re: Tx sales

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:09 pm

A lot of the sales rings here in the NorthWest have installed ring scales. So what ever comes through the door is weighed right away. The total weight, head count and the average weight is lit up on a board in just seconds. I have seen them run 50 head of steers into the ring, weigh them and run them out. Do it again with another bunch of 50. And again with another 50 head. They then post the combined weight, head count, and average weight. Then the bidding starts. Takes less than 2 minutes to sell. Total time between the first steer walking into the ring and the auctioneer saying sold is less than 10 minutes.
0 x


Return to “Cattle Sales”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests