Tx sales

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Tx sales

Postby Allenw » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:34 pm

BC wrote:
Allenw wrote:
BC wrote:You get good at estimating weights or you find another occupation. :roll:

Kenny, here is a one minute clip I took with a flip phone at Emory when they were trying out a new auctioneer. The sound is not good, but count how many calves are sold in that one minute time. Calves are weighed after they are sold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBA_kHwf54c&feature=youtu.be

Can they sell more then one at a time, or the scales too small? :lol:

They can sell more than one at a time, but most consignments are not large enough or uniform enough to deal up. There are lots of cattle and lots of owners. The average herd size around here is 30 head.

A little different here you can see everything from singles to multiple load lots.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:49 pm

kenny thomas wrote:I could fall asleep listening to the chant of a good auctioneer. 5 days a week is the most I ever went. Thursday I couldnt get a sale close enough.

I generally always catch a nap..... :lol2: about the only time I do. Not the only one either. :D
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:57 pm

About 35 years ago I'd go with my uncle and one of my father's buddies to the auction at Hockley. We'd drop off the calves, then go to a local cafe where we'd drink a couple beers, then eat a big chicken fried steak, head back to the auction barn to watch the sale, and then get the check and head back home. One day I dozed off watching the sale, and I guess nodded my head, because I woke up just in time to hear the auctioneer say "Never mind. That man wasn't bidding, he's sleeping."
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:10 pm

I sat in a auctions here for 2 years before I bought one. When I first watched what they did it was very foriegn. The guy would say 80 dollars and mean 80 cents. The weight would flash on the screen once the cow left and I thought what the heck? Sometimes a cow would be in the ring and they were still bidding on the one that left. Some sold by the head, with no one to explain it, it took a while of watching to figure it out. When I sold my first cow I thought it was a scam because the invoice was less pounds then what the screen flashed. The guy running the place said the screen flashed for the cow before mine. After that I started weighing my own before I took them. Watched how the guy started the bids, got it down so now I can pretty much tell +- 50 pounds what the cow I buy is going to weigh. When the bidding starts I pretty much know how much I am paying for that animal. It's not for a beginner. I still just go sit at the auctions on my days off just for fun and to see what prices are and guess weights. Sometimes I see some really good deals that you can't pass up.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:17 pm

You said "The guy would say 80 dollars and mean 80 cents." He did mean $80.00. That's per 100lbs.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 pm

I paid 5 cents a lb for a steer calf this week weighing 180. Needless to say he looked rough. But he is alive and eating now.
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:12 pm

Rafter S wrote:You said "The guy would say 80 dollars and mean 80 cents." He did mean $80.00. That's per 100lbs.

Makes sense, its the same math. When I'm taking culls to the auction that's what the price per pound turns out to be on the invoice. It's the one Auctioneer at my local auction the other three auctions don't use that phrase very often. It's usually on Slaughter cows but sometimes others as well.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:18 am

kenny thomas wrote:I paid 5 cents a lb for a steer calf this week weighing 180. Needless to say he looked rough. But he is alive and eating now.

I saw quite a few calves sell for less than $0.10 last week. We're not experienced enough to deal with those kind.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:45 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I paid 5 cents a lb for a steer calf this week weighing 180. Needless to say he looked rough. But he is alive and eating now.

I saw quite a few calves sell for less than $0.10 last week. We're not experienced enough to deal with those kind.

I'm experienced enough to know I'm not going to deal with that kind.
Life is to short for that for that for me.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:55 pm

jedstivers wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

I'm experienced enough to know I'm not going to deal with that kind.
Life is to short for that for that for me.

Yeah I saw a Charolais calf they had to pick up and carry out after he laid down in the ring. Time is money and those need more time then I have. If I was home a lot and had a nurse cow I might contemplate it. Mostly the guys from Mexico buy those here.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:53 am

It has always made me wonder why in many areas most if not all cows are run through one head at a time. Here on cows going back to the country are usually sold in groups and many times butcher cows are also. Each area does it differently. I know most of the sales in this area has went to either weighing before or after they go through the ring. Watched one on the internet a few weeks ago and everything was ran through the ring and then were on the scale with weight showing while being sold. Had never saw that before.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:24 am

elkwc wrote:It has always made me wonder why in many areas most if not all cows are run through one head at a time. Here on cows going back to the country are usually sold in groups and many times butcher cows are also. Each area does it differently. I know most of the sales in this area has went to either weighing before or after they go through the ring. Watched one on the internet a few weeks ago and everything was ran through the ring and then were on the scale with weight showing while being sold. Had never saw that before.

They do groups here sometimes, you can request it as the seller. When they do it keeps the guys like me on a budget from bidding but can raise the price. They don't sell by the pound when they do it here. Some times when they bring a group in they still offer choice to the first winner.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”