20 trillion in debt

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
zirlottkim
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: 20 trillion in debt

Postby zirlottkim » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:53 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:To prepare myself to be in the best position when hyperinflation sets in, I spend every dollar I make. Cash will be worthless. Boats are where it's at.

You may need a mast and some canvas to sail the boats. Gas and diesel may get expensive real quick with hyperinflation.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 pm

zirlottkim wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:To prepare myself to be in the best position when hyperinflation sets in, I spend every dollar I make. Cash will be worthless. Boats are where it's at.

You may need a mast and some canvas to sail the boats. Gas and diesel may get expensive real quick with hyperinflation.

You need "everything" self sufficient, from water, food.. energy and all. If you have that and your land is paid for you may be okay, if not you might be in the mob or in a FEMA camp
1 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:24 pm

The old definition of a boat is still pretty accurate. A hole in the water into which you throw money. Then there is the old saw that the happiest 2 days for a boat owner is the day he gets it and the day he gets rid of it.
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:55 am

dun wrote:The old definition of a boat is still pretty accurate. A hole in the water into which you throw money. Then there is the old saw that the happiest 2 days for a boat owner is the day he gets it and the day he gets rid of it.

I like boats, so I don't look at them like that. I build aluminum boats from scratch when we get weathered out, and get paid to do it, and we have flipped a few for a little profit to finance our fun. We do a fair bit of work near where we keep our big boat....about 250 miles from home.....so we end up spending about 25% of our nights on a boat, and it's a 100% write off. We are in Florida right now half azz shopping for a hurricane damaged slow boat to take up the Tenn Tom to refit close to home and then take back to FL so we will have an affordable place to stay when we start to tap that fence market. There are plenty of people that think owning a boat will be all sunshine and strippers, and when reality sets in, boating is no longer a romantic idea. We actually enjoy the work part.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:57 am

BK9954 wrote:
zirlottkim wrote:

You need "everything" self sufficient, from water, food.. energy and all. If you have that and your land is paid for you may be okay, if not you might be in the mob or in a FEMA camp

As long as we pay property taxes, our land will never be paid for.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:30 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
BK9954 wrote:
zirlottkim wrote:You may need a mast and some canvas to sail the boats. Gas and diesel may get expensive real quick with hyperinflation.

We don't own land we rent it from the government.
If you don't believe that stop paying those property taxes and watch your butt get evicted.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Coosh71
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Coosh71 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:39 am

I hate to say this, but I don't believe we can pull this plain up enough to keep us from crashing. You have 2 pulling up and one pushing down. Just doesn't work... We cannot agree on anything (in Congress), and it sure just feels like a money grab to those in charge. Hate to sound so negative, but with China holding the future in so many things, it's gonna get real bad before it can get better. God Bless! Hope I'm wrong.
0 x

zirlottkim
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby zirlottkim » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:25 am

BK9954 wrote:
zirlottkim wrote:

Every country in the developed world is using and pushing fiat currency. The world is so financially intertwined that when one of the major country's currency fails, the rest of the world will probably follow. Try to go a day without using foreign products . From engine and tractor parts to tools, clothes and canned food, we are totally dependent on foreign products. I'm not sure how to be prepared for that. Sure you can store up enough good to last you and your family a lifetime, but how do you protect it from being stolen? I'm not talking about a mob either. I'm talking about law. A Vietnamese friend that lived and escaped communist reign there told me stories of hiding while eating decent food. If they ate it in public, they were raided by law. In Venezuela, it's illegal to "hoard" food. How quickly could/would laws change here if/when hyperinflation made everyday essential products unavailable? May never happen but to believe it can't is naive.
2 x

zirlottkim
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby zirlottkim » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:31 am

dun wrote:The old definition of a boat is still pretty accurate. A hole in the water into which you throw money. Then there is the old saw that the happiest 2 days for a boat owner is the day he gets it and the day he gets rid of it.

BOAT= Bust Out Another Thousand. Boats and women are a very much alike. Both very High Maintenance but you cant live without them.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:52 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
BK9954 wrote:
zirlottkim wrote:You may need a mast and some canvas to sail the boats. Gas and diesel may get expensive real quick with hyperinflation.

That's why you should have a healthy supply of gold and silver. TB frowned on this in another thread on this topic but gold and silver should keep up with the inflation comparably and help pay property taxes, depending on how much you have. Maybe livestock prices will adjust to the dollar value.
2 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:20 am

While I do agree that having gold is a good thing, it can be confiscated as well (it's happened before!).. Silver may be a better bet to hedge against that.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:48 am

We have quite a bit of silver(by my standards) and not much gold. It's easy to buy a few ounces of silver....not so easy to buy ounces of gold. I got in the habit of buying a little silver every time we finish a job and get paid. Hopefully it'll be worth something one day.
I've been buying from SD Bullion online. Any of you have a better source?
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:12 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:We have quite a bit of silver(by my standards) and not much gold. It's easy to buy a few ounces of silver....not so easy to buy ounces of gold. I got in the habit of buying a little silver every time we finish a job and get paid. Hopefully it'll be worth something one day.
I've been buying from SD Bullion online. Any of you have a better source?

I like APMEX, they are pretty consistent, take credit cards too. They will buy back whatever they sell you as well, so if there is inflation or a good rise in gold prices you have a place to sell instead of a pawn shop or private market.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:15 pm

Anyone ever dealt with Lear Capital? Heard them advertised on Rush Limbaugh. Got a prospectus in the mail and am considering it. They will also buy back; question is what would you use for the "money" if the dollar goes to he// ? I am a big believer in silver also since it is used in so many industrial applications. It is fairly cheap now, less than $20. I remember when it hit nearly $50 a few years ago. Have only ever invested in actual silver like pre 1964 quarters but am looking to do something while the market is so high and get some of my retirement money into something more safe and sensible than the stock market. Lost too much in 2008 and I am getting too close to retirement now.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:14 pm

farmerjan wrote:Anyone ever dealt with Lear Capital? Heard them advertised on Rush Limbaugh. Got a prospectus in the mail and am considering it. They will also buy back; question is what would you use for the "money" if the dollar goes to he// ? I am a big believer in silver also since it is used in so many industrial applications. It is fairly cheap now, less than $20. I remember when it hit nearly $50 a few years ago. Have only ever invested in actual silver like pre 1964 quarters but am looking to do something while the market is so high and get some of my retirement money into something more safe and sensible than the stock market. Lost too much in 2008 and I am getting too close to retirement now.

You would use hyper inflated dollars or possibly have it paid back in euros or another currency if they are stable. The only good thing about getting hyper inflated dollars back is I could pay off my mortgage with worthless dollars.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”