CB/Bryant/Dogs&Cows Hounds

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: CB/Bryant/Dogs&Cows Hounds

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:10 pm

kenny thomas wrote: SKy, we have 10,000 acres in one block and 1800 in another. Plus some of our members are also members of an adjoining club that adds another 2500 acres. KY state line is our border and many of them go over there and all we can do is go get the dogs. 4000ft elevation on part of it but lots of old mine roads.

Nice we have large blocks we lease as well rarely do dogs go where we can't kill the game. Here you don't need Bear doge there forever walking around the fields I see some every week.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:12 pm

Turkeybird wrote:Is bear good eating?

IMO good but greasy I crock pot bear before putting it in a stew and usually pour off the grease around 5 times
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:31 pm

Not to me, that's why it doesn't interest me to kill one.
Sky, do you see lots of crop damage there. Nothing near this lease for them to bother,
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SmokinM » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:44 pm

kenny thomas wrote:

Sky, do you see lots of crop damage there. Nothing near this lease for them to bother,

Like most game some love it some don't. I like it ok but none of my family eat it much. You do have to get the fat off that is important. Makes a decent stew or good BBQ that's about the only 2 ways I really like it.

I am with you Kenny, I only carry a gun for o'crap situations. Much rather shoot one with a camera. I really enjoy the dogs and the walking thru the mountains most. It is truly mind boggling where they can and do go and how fast when they take a notion. Also never seen one break a bone and seen them fall 80' and land on rock. Sounds like you had a good chase going there.

They are particularly hard on corn. They like to lay or sit in the middle and pull stalks to them then walk a little ways and do it again making VW sized crop circles. I know watermelon growers near the Dismal Swamp have a heck of a time with them too. They like to sample all of them then eat the best.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:52 pm

kenny thomas wrote:

Yes sir they love corn and they wear my fruit orchard out I rarely get any fruit. They also damage alot of cars too.
1 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:01 pm

Most people don't realize how much ground a dog can cover. We run Curr and Catahoula dogs and its not hard to run off of 10,000 acres. We have had dogs go off 80,000 acres. The new tracking systems are amazing when used correctly to see what is going on. They also ruin a lot of good dogs when used incorrectly.

I won't hunt where the neighbors aren't ok with me at least calling them to ask if I can retrieve my dogs.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:05 pm

Brute 23 wrote:Most people don't realize how much ground a dog can cover. We run Curr and Catahoula dogs and its not hard to run off of 10,000 acres. We have had dogs go off 80,000 acres. The new tracking systems are amazing when used correctly to see what is going on. They also ruin a lot of good dogs when used incorrectly.

I won't hunt where the neighbors aren't ok with me at least calling them to ask if I can retrieve my dogs.

Yea I have GPS and tracking collar's on my dogs.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:06 pm

Brute 23 wrote:Most people don't realize how much ground a dog can cover. We run Curr and Catahoula dogs and its not hard to run off of 10,000 acres. We have had dogs go off 80,000 acres. The new tracking systems are amazing when used correctly to see what is going on. They also ruin a lot of good dogs when used incorrectly.

What are you running, hogs?
0 x

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:26 pm

That is the very reason the dog hunter is viewed so badly, rude behavior.
You should always run the absolute minimum amount of dogs IMO.
Hog hunters have gotten such a bad name because of the hillbilly I can go anywhere attitude.
Had one stop by last week to talk about running on the lease across the road.
He was surprised when I told him most everyone with cows up here considers them a target.
1 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:15 pm

kenny thomas wrote:

What are you running, hogs?

Yes sir.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:17 pm

Seen a couple hogs hit on the highway when I was down there. Never seen a live one. But hard to watch for them at 75mph.
1 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:21 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:

That is the very reason the dog hunter is viewed so badly, rude behavior.
You should always run the absolute minimum amount of dogs IMO.
Hog hunters have gotten such a bad name because of the hillbilly I can go anywhere attitude.
Had one stop by last week to talk about running on the lease across the road.
He was surprised when I told him most everyone with cows up here considers them a target.

I agree that a lot of dog hunters do not respect property lines.

At least that guy came and talked to you CB... most wouldn't.
1 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:24 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Seen a couple hogs hit on the highway when I was down there. Never seen a live one. But hard to watch for them at 75mph.

There are some mean ones around there. It's amazing the tusks they can put on along the coast.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:11 am

kenny thomas wrote:71 dogs? I turned 3 loose on a bear last night and thought that might be too many.

Kenny...what do you run on bear? I was using English, and Walker dogs...but my favorite of all time are the Plotts!!!

Tim
0 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:12 am

skyhightree1 wrote:I wish y'all could be sitting with me right now listening to this chase we turned out 71 dogs on a few deer and there packing together some kinda good . Everyone smiling and having fun making side bets who's dogs will be first behind the deer. Last time to run them till hunting season.

Dang Jules! 71 dogs...I think I can hear them here in NC! Good deal...love the sounds of the dogs on trail!!!!

Tim
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”