CB/Bryant/Dogs&Cows Hounds

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Re: CB/Bryant/Dogs&Cows Hounds

Postby Dogs and Cows » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:15 am

SmokinM wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:71 dogs? I turned 3 loose on a bear last night and thought that might be too many.

Didn't know you were a bear hunter KT. Did you get him treed? 12,000ac sounds like a lot of land to somebody who hasn't ever bear hunted, but when they don't feel like treeing they will cross that in a hurry. Bear hunting on a couple hundred acres if you can't get on the land around it is a waste of time. We generally hunt 3-7 dogs at a time. More than that dogs are running dogs and not the game and the few good dogs are getting screwed up by the run and barkers. Nothing like seeing/hearing good dogs work.

If you ever want to hunt some different scenery look me up KT would be glad to have you along.

SmokinM, where do you bear hunt? I've been in Telico, TN and we had huge leases down east NC. Sure was a ton of fun...I don't do it any more, just got too expensive and so much travel...but boy, good times!!!

Tim
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I wish y'all could be sitting with me right now listening to this chase we turned out 71 dogs on a few deer and there packing together some kinda good . Everyone smiling and having fun making side bets who's dogs will be first behind the deer. Last time to run them till hunting season.

Dang Jules! 71 dogs...I think I can hear them here in NC! Good deal...love the sounds of the dogs on trail!!!!

Tim

Yea.. Last day of hunting season the whole club on the last drive whatever dogs we have left dump them in a big block of woods. The whole club has close to 400 deer dogs. From beagles,walkers,plotts, to half beagle half walkers blueticks, redticks.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:25 pm

There you go Sky making me wish I was there. I have never heard 71 run a race at the same time,bet that sounds better than a church choir. I always like to hear a good race but I also sure do like to hear them set down and blow the top out of a tree . As you know I am working with a young Mountain Cur dog now for Squirrel and one thing I am missing is they don't have the hound mouth and they don't bark on the trail, but its better no dogs at all
kb
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:46 pm

BRYANT wrote:There you go Sky making me wish I was there. I have never heard 71 run a race at the same time,bet that sounds better than a church choir. I always like to hear a good race but I also sure do like to hear them set down and blow the top out of a tree . As you know I am working with a young Mountain Cur dog now for Squirrel and one thing I am missing is they don't have the hound mouth and they don't bark on the trail, but its better no dogs at all
kb

Yea its an awesome sound like a train coming through the woods... Yea hows the training going?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:22 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:71 dogs? I turned 3 loose on a bear last night and thought that might be too many.

Kenny...what do you run on bear? I was using English, and Walker dogs...but my favorite of all time are the Plotts!!!

Tim

We run Curs, Plotts, walkers, black and tan, crosses, mixed up mutts. Probably only a couple registered dogs in the bunch and those are there because they were suppose to be coon dogs.
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SmokinM » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:
SmokinM wrote:

Didn't know you were a bear hunter KT. Did you get him treed? 12,000ac sounds like a lot of land to somebody who hasn't ever bear hunted, but when they don't feel like treeing they will cross that in a hurry. Bear hunting on a couple hundred acres if you can't get on the land around it is a waste of time. We generally hunt 3-7 dogs at a time. More than that dogs are running dogs and not the game and the few good dogs are getting screwed up by the run and barkers. Nothing like seeing/hearing good dogs work.

If you ever want to hunt some different scenery look me up KT would be glad to have you along.

SmokinM, where do you bear hunt? I've been in Telico, TN and we had huge leases down east NC. Sure was a ton of fun...I don't do it any more, just got too expensive and so much travel...but boy, good times!!!

Tim

I hunt in Nelson VA primarily. Big Plott fan myself still have one old one left, blind and deaf now but my daughter sure loves to snuggle him. Blue ticks, walkers and crosses of the two are pretty popular here also. A few Black and Tans and redbones scattered around. Nothing like a good pack treed!
1 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:32 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
BRYANT wrote:There you go Sky making me wish I was there. I have never heard 71 run a race at the same time,bet that sounds better than a church choir. I always like to hear a good race but I also sure do like to hear them set down and blow the top out of a tree . As you know I am working with a young Mountain Cur dog now for Squirrel and one thing I am missing is they don't have the hound mouth and they don't bark on the trail, but its better no dogs at all
kb

Yea its an awesome sound like a train coming through the woods... Yea hows the training going?

he seems to be doing pretty good, really is a smart dog but this is the first time I have ever trained one with out and older dog to help guide him along. I think if I had and older dog with him he would be doing even better. It will be much better hunting when the leaves fall so I can see the squirrels in the tree better.
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:12 am

BRYANT wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
kb

he seems to be doing pretty good, really is a smart dog but this is the first time I have ever trained one with out and older dog to help guide him along. I think if I had and older dog with him he would be doing even better. It will be much better hunting when the leaves fall so I can see the squirrels in the tree better.

Keep working with him don't give him a break gotta keep pounding into him what you want him to do. The worst you can do for a dog is let him sit idle and not work.
1 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”