Puerto Rico

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Puerto Rico

Postby Turkeybird » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:01 am

Very interesting
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:13 am

The following graphic shows more of the whole story, not just % population of a given state. States with the highest populations will generally have a lower % of people on the programs, but they also tend to have the highest total cost and the highest total number of participants.

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:31 am

boondocks wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:Might want to consider which states are "net givers" and which are "net takers" before you decide to kick out CA (or worse yet, NY). This chart shows which states get far more back from the federal gov't than they kick in, and which pay in way more than they get (and the gradations between, of course): https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... rs/361668/
The chart further down, showing % of residents on SNAP, ought to raise an eyebrow. Maybe two unless you're Spock. ;-)

We have a ton of Californians that have moved up here to Idaho. The world would be better if we removed them from the country and instituted stricter border control with them infiltrating the rest of the country. I'm sure many Texans would agree with me.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:30 am

On the chart GB posted, to me the most interesting stat was the far right column. We all (myself included) tend to beyotch about food stamp recipients but if the cost per person is only about $10-20 (per year, presumably; and cost varies by state as shown), I can probably find far worse uses of my taxes to rail against.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Just remember, that isn't all the costs. The small text at the bottom notes that "This is the cost of benefit only and does not include administrative costs or other costs associated with the program"
Added in administrative costs can be significant in any state, local or federal program..as we all know:
" FNS funds the full cost of SNAP benefits and generally reimburses the States for 50 percent of their administrative costs. In FY 2014, the Federal share of SNAP administrative costs nationwide totaled over $3.6 billion."
https://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/27601-0003-22.pdf
So, that $3.6 bil is only the federal part of it..the states' cost is 1/2 again that much.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Coffee Shop”