anyone here have arterial fibrillation..Afib?

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

anyone here have arterial fibrillation..Afib?

Postby greybeard » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:50 am

Had my 2nd or 3rd episode of Afib last weekend and spent 2 days in the hospital getting it settled down and back into sinus rhythm. (no heart attack, just sudden onset of high pulse rate and low BP) I have a consult coming up with another cardiologist to see if a procedure called cardiac ablation is right for me. I've had it explained to me by my primary cardiologist and have researched it so I know 'what' it is, just wondering if anyone has had experience with it..good or not so good?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Texas PaPaw
GURU
GURU

Re: anyone here have arterial fibrillation..Afib?

Postby Texas PaPaw » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:07 am

Two relatives and a good friend have had ablations and it has fixed them up. Think they will keep you in hospital overnight but not too difficult for patient. Think the worst is will be some discomfort in your groin for a few days, where they insert the scope/instrument into your artery.
1 x
Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Brock's Law "If you do enough stumblin', you'll stumble on to something"

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:14 am

Neighbor had to have it done twice to get him fixed up. He is in his late 70's and going strong. If I remember correctly he had to wear some type of heart monitor for a while.
1 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:25 am

greybeard wrote:Had my 2nd or 3rd episode of Afib last weekend and spent 2 days in the hospital getting it settled down and back into sinus rhythm. (no heart attack, just sudden onset of high pulse rate and low BP) I have a consult coming up with another cardiologist to see if a procedure called cardiac ablation is right for me. I've had it explained to me by my primary cardiologist and have researched it so I know 'what' it is, just wondering if anyone has had experience with it..good or not so good?

This guy right here has it... they had to hit me with paddles a few times to get it right then been on meds ever since dr. said i was youngest patient he had with it. Call or Text me if you got detailed questions that you don't want to be out in the open.
2 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:41 am

What I'm reading here has been what I've heard elsewhere..that it often doesn't work the first time.
Got a whole slew of tests in the next few weeks to ensure there is nothing else going on, but ablation appears to be the plan going forward and if that doesn't work, then a pacemaker of some kind..
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:52 am

GB The ablation was the 2nd option for me cardioversion I think is what mine was called was when they put me to sleep and put the paddles on me. Is there a reason they don't try that first?
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

dcarp
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby dcarp » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:55 am

I've had it since I was 35, now 70. Mine is controlled well with 2 meds, Digoxin & Flecainide. Good luck to you, I hope it turns out well for you.
2 x
Will Rogers never met the IRS

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:24 am

I have had an ablation procedure done about 5 years ago. In my case, I was experiencing PVC's (Pre-Ventricular Conractions..sp?) where it would feel like my heart was skipping a beat but in reality was actually adding one! This is caused when both the bottom part and the top part of your heart beat at the same time (instead of that two-stage rhythm that is normal). It freaks you out a little because it feels like you miss a beat and them "Bam" it hits hard... it was OK for a while but when you have a run of PVC's, it can get your attention really quick! In my case, it was a electrical problem telling my heart to mis-fire... a simple ablation and I haven't experienced one since. As stated above, about the only discomfort was in my groin where they ran the scope up. I was in and out the same day. I might also add that in my case, they had to locate the bundle that was the cause so they fired me up with adrenaline (I don't recommend that!) and they located it pretty quickly!
2 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:28 am

Pray all goes well for you,...you've had a rough year..
2 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:14 am

Yes, an intermittent electrical problem and we all know how hard they are to nail down..on anything. As one diagnosis said a few months ago.."Mr. Y has an irregularly irregular heartbeat". :bang: :bang:
I'm on blood thinners of course because they're concerned about clots and stroke, and am diabetic. Had a quad bypass a few years ago and recent stress over the flood, my brother's health (terminal cancer and then he had a heart attack himself on Sept 28, caused by a failed 23 year old stint..fixed now) and I was worried about him and my most recent Afib began the night they did his stent work.

I won't know much more until the scans are all done and the consultation..the only options they've mentioned are ablation and pacemaker.

Not sure why anyone would need to wear a monitor..you'll sure notice when it happens.

I take 9 different pills/day already and a couple of them twice/day..I really didn't want to have to start taking some new ones...The only good thing to come of my health problems is a change in diet and get lots of exercise. Went from size 40 jeans in Nov back down to size 36 now and I better not forget to put a belt on either. From 260 to 210 now. Kinda embarrassed to admit it, but I ride a real bicycle everyday I can, 3-7 miles or walk 3 miles on a treadmill if it's raining. Don't take me long to ride that route on the bike either..the skeeters and horseflies make sure I don't slow down. Wife rides her's with me and the 2 dogs trot along beside us the whole way.
I appreciate the input!!
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:24 am

The largest commercial cattle operator in Robertson County is a close friend. When we first met, we found out we were both 1950 babies. He and I are on the County Cattle Association together. His son is the Agriculture teacher at the high school. His other son died of a congenital heart condition. It was EXTREMELY difficult for he and his wife and other son. Then Bud found out he had a problem with his atrioventricular node. They cauterized it. The procedure was successful and I never see him that he is not smiling. One of those truly great gentleman.

Good luck GB. BTW: you are also a 1950 baby.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Husband has Afib and keeps it relatively under control with Sotalol (Betapace) and Xarelto. He's had a couple heart catheterizations but not the ablation, both involve a catheter in the groin. The couldn't stop the bleeding the first time, had to stay overnight and ended up with his entire leg black & blue. Make darn sure you discontinue your blood thinners, aspirin, vitamins, fish oil, herbal teas & all anti inflammatories a week prior to surgery. Best of luck!
1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:06 pm

GB...I take metoprolol or whatever its called 50 mg per day
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:49 pm

A good friend of ours has had the ablation procedure done, and she is very happy with it, excellent results.

A very dear friend of ours has A-Fib which is managed, quite well, with medication; Atenelol and low-dose Aspirin (81 mgs) 1X daily. He had been on Digoxin for the first 4 or 5 years after diagnosis, his cardiologist stopped the Digoxin. He also takes Furosemide (Lasix-"water-pill") to reduce fluid retention and Meloxicam (to prevent gout flare-ups) once a day.

My BIL also has A-Fib, and his too is well managed with medication.
Last edited by Workinonit Farm on Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Good luck with your treatment. Don't envy you having to endure all those tests.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Return to “Coffee Shop”